• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Help Needed with Telling the Truth (1 Viewer)

weirdkhar

Hey ppls,
I need help with structuring the Telling the Truth response. im all over the place and dunno exactly how to do it. a good outline would be great.
thanks!

HSC
N/A
ESSAY

-intro
-body
-conclusion

Generally, answer the question, think about what you're saying, and use evidence to support your argument (that is, your "answer" to the question).

Zali

HSC
you should have about 5 body paragraphs (presuming your doing frontline), 1 on the satirical purpose of frontline and how this is achieved, 2 on 2 frontline episodes and 2 on related texts. How ever in each of these paragraphs you should try and bring in a link to another episode and related text but not in too much detail. Each paragraph should say:
what the truth being shown is
How it is shown
Why it is shown like this, eg to get ratings
The paragraph should focus strongly tho on one of what/how/why depending on what the question asks

weirdkhar

im doing telling the truth focusing on the poetry of ted hughes and silvia plath. i know the basic outline, (i.e. intro, body, conclusion) but need to know the detail of how to set out the body of it.
should i focus on each poem at a time or focus on a truth being told and how the different poems and related texts support this truth or something completely different?

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Zali said:
you should have about 5 body paragraphs (presuming your doing frontline), 1 on the satirical purpose of frontline and how this is achieved, 2 on 2 frontline episodes and 2 on related texts. How ever in each of these paragraphs you should try and bring in a link to another episode and related text but not in too much detail.

No, no, Attempt to synthesis as much as possible! DONT structure it on a text a paragraph. Structure your paragraphs by ideas, and then back up that idea with your set text AND an extra text. You got to do that if you want the 19-20 marks. Move away from a linear structure.

love the title of the thread btw :p

Zali

HSC
Deus said:
No, no, Attempt to synthesis as much as possible! DONT structure it on a text a paragraph. Structure your paragraphs by ideas, and then back up that idea with your set text AND an extra text. You got to do that if you want the 19-20 marks. Move away from a linear structure.
Obviously its going to be different as they arent doing Frontline but its about what works for you. I like a simple structure and it got me 19 in my trial so stick with what u find easiest. An idea can be represented by a text which is y i do paragraphs based on texts so in a way it is a paragraph based on 1 idea

lozzipops_87

HSC
deus is right, you have to present your ideas and the beginning of each paragraph and then use the text to support your answer. in your intro you should include your thesisi on truth.

SmileyCam

HSC
I agree with Zali, I prefer the linear structure and if you're not a 19-20 student, it does the job.
But you said only 2 episodes for frontline? our teacher's making us do 3 episodes, is that bad?

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Zali: Its almost guarranteed not to be a 19 in the extenal exams. There is stif competition; only those that are well structured will be considered for a band 6. The markers recommend constantly to base your paragraphs on certain ideas.

SmileyCam: Your teacher cant "make" you do anything. Its up to you in the end. You are the one putting pen to paper.
2 would be a minimum, but its good to have more. Extra episodes will expand your ability to answer the particular question they give as some elements of certain episodes will be more suited to certain questions.

Last edited:

Zali

HSC
Deus said:
Zali: Its almost guarranteed not to be a 19 in the extenal exams. There is stif competition; only those that are well structured will be considered for a band 6. The markers recommend constantly to base your paragraphs on certain ideas.

SmileyCam: Your teacher cant "make" you do anything. Its up to you in the end. You are the one putting pen to paper.
2 would be a minimum, but its good to have more. Extra episodes will expand your ability to answer the particular question they give as some elements of certain episodes will be more suited to certain questions.
Smiley Cam: if u focus on 2 but bring in links to at least 2 other episodes you'll still show depth of knowledge and are using at least 3 episodes

Deus: do u really think i dont no that theres stiff competition in the HSC? I think you misunderstand me, i do base my paragraphs on an idea just my examples are focused on one text with links to others. Our school marks to the same standard of the HSC, my teacher has won some premiers award for teaching english and one of his previous studen's frontline essay was used in the standards package for a band 6 response and it was structured like mine. My parents are both english teachers who has marked the HSC for the last 10 years and always says that the biggest problem is that students try to talk about too many texts which means they cant talk about them in enough detail. Its a bit rich to guarrantee I won't get a 19 in the HSC when you dont know my circumstances and haven't read my essay.

im not saying ure ways wrong im just saying theres more than one way to do it and do it wat ever way suits u best

Last edited:

edukated

HSC
i was planning to do my essay with two generalisations as my thesis. i was gogin to use the structure as followed but i dont know how good it is.
intro
- definition of truth
- address question
- introduce texts

talk about frontline tv show as satire etc

generalisation 1 -humans shape their own truth
- discuss for frontline
- discuss for add mat 1
(linking the two)

generalistaion 2 -truth is compromised for a desired result
- discuss for frontline
- discuss for add mat 2
(linking the two)

conclusion

i was thinking about using this structure, but i really dont know, and my english teacher wont give me any feedback. does anyone hav any alternative ways of doing it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)