help on external stability (1 Viewer)

Blondie

erg, i hate external stability. it makes no sense! any help would be so VERY VERY good!!!
the dot point is:

*External stability
measurement
V CAD as a percentage of Gross Domestic Product
V Net foreign debt as a percentage of Gross Domestic Product
V Net foreign liabilities as a percentage of Gross Domestic Product
trends
causes
effects

once again, im happy to swap notes if needed.
Thanks!

Last edited:

Nupil

HSC
N/A
In answer to that, isn't it to actually show it as a comparison so that you have some idea what the figure means ...

I mean a country could have a CAD of 9.8 billion dollars, but if it's only about 1.2% of GDP - you can see it's not of the biggest concern, unlike if that 9.8 billion dollar figure indicated that it was about 8% of GDP ... that's why. You need to have a comparison so that you're not just spouting numbers and not actually explaining what that CAD represents for the nation.

... hope that helped. I might've confuddled you - I have a tendency of doing that. Meh.

Also same goes for Net debts and liabilities - you need a comparison or it's not actually going to mean anything for the government and investors.

... I think I'll stop before I do stuff this up. I'd wait till the smert cookies start typing away, hope what I said made sense! Oh and as for trends/causes/effects - the first should be pretty well addressed in your textbook ... it's literally about the CAD and our exchange rate over the 70s, 80s, 90s. And how external stability has gone from a major economic objective of governments ... to not one really.

Ack! No I'm stopping, I'm confusing myself now >_<. I know Minai/Timmi and the other clever ones will come to your rescue!

kt san

yeah nupil is right
if we measure it against GPD, then we see how significant it is in the economy
trend, cause, effect
well we've always had a CAD apparently since the first fleet
we've always feed on foreign investment into australia
because australia's economy is still young and can't raise much funds to invest on it's own

as we have a bigger cad we fall into the debt trap, where we need to borrow just to service the debt...ie repay interest or divident overseas

and in these cases, Australia businesses will be burdened with debt...and lose investors confidence,
this is what happened in indonesia after the asian financial crisis, where there was a flight of fund
and investors pulled due to the fall in consumer confidence
and the rupiah fell sharply

similarly the AUD can depreciate if we lose international investor's confidence, and then depreciating dollar will mean heavier foreign debt (cos a debt in 100mil US dollar will cost more in AUD than before) and there would also be imported inflation, and we all noe that inflation makes lose international competitiveness

someone ...some book said Australia will be trouble if CAD is more than 5% of GDP
right now it's 5.7%
we would only be in trouble, when we have problem paying it back
but due the the microeconomic reform done in the past two decades, we are productived and efficient enough to get good return on our work
we've become internationally competitive, so it's not hard for us to service this CAD

therefore there has not been loss of AUD
and quite recently as u ppl have hear the AUD has been appreciating, i think someone said it hit 80 cent US

2003HSC

external stability is probably the hardest concept (to me anyway).
The CAD is measured as % of GDP because economies with high GDP can afford to run larger debts eg US CAD is way bigger than Australian CAD but not a huge probalem due to the size of its economy.

For trends, all you really have to know is that australia's CAD was averaging 2.5% until 1980 when the exchange rate was floated and the financial sector deregulated. Since then, it has averaged at least 4%. ALso, the CAD is cyclical and there have been blowouts up to 6% every 5 or 6 years. The most recent blowouts occured in the mid 1990s, late 1990s and currently we are experiencing a blowout now (something like 6.2% which is way high).

timmii

sporadic attendee
External stability can be considered a measure of australia's long-term viability.

I'll try give u an analogy. If person A spends more than they earn, consistently (ie M > X), then there are 2 things they can do. 1 - they can borrow money from the bank. or 2 - they can sell assets. If they borrow money, they will eventually have to repay both the loan and the interest - which can only really be done once they start earning more than they spend (otherwise they have to keep borrowing, or selling assets). IF they sell assets, then any income they may have made from the assets (e.g shares) they have now lost. If they keep selling assets, ultimately their ability to earn income in the long term is diminished.

If i told you person a was spending $10 more than they earned, you wouldn't know how bad that was until you knew whether they earned $8 or $100. It's not so much the nominal amount that is important (since nominal amounts change as GDP and inflation increases), the constraint is on what the debt represents as a percentage of income. Thus the comparison of CAD with GDP. GDP is really Australia's annual income.

Trends...well the CAD was exacerbated by the budget deficits of the 80s-early 90s (twin deficits theory). If the government is drawing down national savings to finance its spending, and borrowing from overseas, then not only must more debt repayments be made, but the expansionary fiscal policy encourages demand for imports and thus worsens the trade balance. At the moment, there is a policy of "fiscal responsibilitY" - aiming to keep the budget in balance over the course of the business cycle. The Howard govt is devoting some of its surpluses to retiring debt, which does have the effect of reducing what we own on loan repayments. I'm not sure of the figures, but conceptually though, this isn't so great, because a lot of the surplus money is coming from the sale of assets - which although reduces our debt, also reduces our assets, so our net liabilities haven't been declining too much and may ultimately hinder future earnings capacity for the govt.

It is generally considered a problem once the CAD reaches 5% of GDP. This is because in order to finance the deficit, the economy needs a high rate of growth, but a concomitant effect of that increased growth is increased import spending and investment expenditure (which may be financed by overseas), and thus an exacerbation of the CAD and a vicious circle develops. This may cause the govt to cut back on spending and create some surpluses so as to raise the level of national savings - (i.e contractionary govt policy). This means that the CAD then imposes an external restraint on the level of growth that australia can sustain.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)