• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Help on titration (1 Viewer)

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
HSC_sUcKsSsS said:
Only started learning it, but i dont get it can anyone tell me the basics?
I was in a similar boat when we initially started with titrations.. but the only way i really understood what was going on was through our prac.

Let's tart with volumetric analysis: Volumetric analysis is a form of chemical analysis where we are able to determine the concentraion of a substance "x" by measuring the volume of a solution of known concentration of a second substance "y" which is just sufficent to react with all of the sample of "x"

The process of determining the 'just sufficient' volume is called "titration".

To have a successful titration we must be able to detect the equivalence point of the reaction.

Definition of Equivalence point (or: end point): The Equivalence point of a chemical reaction is the point at which the amounts of the two reactants are just sufficent to cause complete consumption of both reactants.

suppose you add sulfuric acid to sodium hydroxide. If we have 0.10 mole of sodium hydroxide, then the equivalence point is when 0.050 mole of sulfuric acid has been added.... (i.e: divided by 2) when u write the equation u will find that it takes 2 moles of sodium hydroxide for every mole of sulfuric acid to form a neutralisation reaction (after balancing the equation of course)

Acid + Base = Salt + Water

The Equivalence point can be detected by using an indicator. A suitable indictaor in the solution in the flask will change colour quite sharply at the equivalence point.

hope it helps

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)