• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Help pleasesss (1 Viewer)

masspotato

HSC
N/A
hi guz!~
I am really stressed out over what I should put as my course preferences,

just wondering, is USYD better than UNSW in science related degrees (since I've heard from people that they have better professors..don't know if it's true)?

and suppose I want to do acturial studies or commerce, is UNSW better than USYD in those degrees ? is it in terms of their industry links or ??

REALLY APPRECIATE your advice!~~
!!

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
USYD and UNSW are more or less equal for science (and in most fields, really) including engineering.

What I recommend is going to either campus and finding out which you prefer. Take into account location/travel as well - typically, an extra bus ride for UNSW and a short walk for USYD.

In my opinion, the walks at USYD are good since they're long enough to help keep you more healthy but short enough so it doesn't exhaust you.

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
In before 'dont pick whats better or the more presitgious uni yadda yadda yadda'
From what I understand they're both pretty similar. Depends on what major you want to do.

lawstu

HSC
To be perfectly straight with you, across all of the sciences taught at Sydney and UNSW, both universities are of similar calibre. You'll have really great things at one each uni, and you'll have really crap things at each too.

Think about what you want (e.g., majors, classes, food, facilities), sleep on it, and just go with your gut. You might want to, at this time, consult relevant uni handbooks and learn about some policies. This may better inform you of things such as Honours and scholarship eligibility. In the past and even now, students complain that they didn't have any idea that admission to Honours was on a competitive basis, and they didn't pick up their game until realising this in their third year.

One thing that dissuades people from UNSW is the bus ride to Kenso. With a Max Brenner and other stuff within its grounds (as opposed to in Newtown), that's a real shame.

Last edited:

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
In before 'dont pick whats better or the more presitgious uni yadda yadda yadda'
From what I understand they're both pretty similar. Depends on what major you want to do.
That's probably the best advice.

The competency of staff generally differs between academic fields so it's definitely worth looking into what you specifically want to do and then do some further research.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)