• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Help! Questions for UNSW engineering (choosing subjects) (1 Viewer)

vickular

HSC
N/A
Hi, I've just enrolled into the First Year Flexible porgram at UNSW and am unsure about certain areas - mainly to do with picking my subjects.

If it's any help, I think I'm heading towards Civil engineering - but can't guarantee that I won't change my mind.

1. I have not done Physics in the HSC and I am quite scared about uni. I'm pretty sure I'm going to choose Physics 1A and from what I heard it didn't seem too hard. But how much knowledge from year 12 is actually required? Without much knowledge in this area, wil I struggle to cope?

2. I've only completed 3U maths (45/50 if that's any help). I'm thinking of heading towards Maths 1A for my first year. My main question is what's the main difference between Maths and Higher Maths? I know Higher Maths is necessary for like electrical and solar energy. But is it really necessary for civil or the majority of the other programs?

3. I know the first year will be hard, but how many actually drop out because of the level of difficulty?

4. Is it true that the huge majority of students in UNSW Engineering are male? (I'm a girl so naturally I find girls easier to talk to).

5. The social life at UNSW - I heard it wasn't very much alive. Is that true?

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
1. Physix in uni is hard, but not much from hsc is used. Its mainly forces, acceleration/velocity, vectors. You need to study hard from day one. I did physics in hsc, and that didnt really help, i still went crap in tests, but u gotta consider what else ur getting assessed on, basically 2 tests (mid semester, final), online quizzes, and labs. Labs and quizzes are both easy, so if u completely own them then u should pass. I completely owned those 2, and i got around 36% for both my mid sem/final exam, and i got a pass, 56, in the course. But apparantly they're making the exams easier.

2. Higher maths is a bit harder than normal maths (obviously), u went pretty good at maths ext1, so you can do higher maths if u want, personally i wouldnt bother, i'd stick with the easy maths, u wont be disadvantaged at all if u do the easier option, the harder one is just for ppl who have abnormal brain sizes and wish to challenge themselves. If u wanna challenge urself, then go for it, u mite get a good result and apparantly u get scaled more if u go good in higher maths (not 100% sure though).

3. Not sure how many drop out.

4. Yes there are more males than females doing engineering, but that doesnt mean that there are no chicks doing engo.

5. The social life is whatever u make it.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
1) Physics in uni is no piece of cake! other regulars in this forum will attest to the low exam averages that students get (although most end up passing due to scaling). It helps a little bit to know HSC physics, but its more of a question of how good your math and logic is.

2) Doing Higher math is a question of interest. You get more scaling in higher math but you're expected to know your stuff more in depth than normal math.

3) Good question, but it can be significant number. Class sizes in later years do not shrink for no good reason.

4) Engineering is a sausagefest hands down. But there are girls who do maths too. You shouldn't find it too hard to find other girls to talk to.

5) If you take the chance to meet lots of people at uni, you'll find a group you feel comfortable in and that will fill in your social life. The uni has a social life, except its not as vibrant as I feel it could be.

I know girls who do computing with me and they've managed to find people to settle down with and enjoy uni. You don't always have to look within the faculty to find friends, you might actually find someone you really enjoy being with in other faculties. Join some clubs at uni and perhaps you can widen your social circle.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Oh my god a girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KD

HSC
N/A
1. Physics will be a challenge but if you put the effort in you will be okay. Although HSC Physics is useful (and recommended) the Physics at Uni is different - more traditional than the HSC syllabus. You will find many others in your situation. Physics 1A is a cut down 'useful' version of uni physics.

2. Higher Maths takes concepts learnt further. Maths 1A is sufficient. If you like Maths you could try Higher Maths and drop back if you find it too challenging/time consuming. I would probably do 1A and spend more time on getting a good Physics mark.

3. With the increase in the UAI most, if not all, students have the ability to do the courses if they put the effort in.

4. About low 20s% in Civil and close to 50% in Enviro (so 60-70+ females total). As about half the subjects are done together you won't be lacking female companionship. Uni is also more than just your classes and there are plenty of activities and Groups/societies you can join if you want to meet others.

5. It's as alive as you want it to be. If you get involved with things and take up the opportunities offered there's more than enough (too much for some re: point 3). If you just do classes, study and go home then you won't find much at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)