Help, should I drop maths or not (1 Viewer)

student711

HSC
I am a high school student who is doing 12 units for the HSC. I currently do twelve units of study. I am unsure whether to drop Advanced Maths or not. I don't mind the subject (I don't hate it) but I wouldn't say that I really like it. In terms of marks in all my subjects, maths is the lowest and it requires a lot of time and effort. I was first keeping Maths as safeguard in case I don't do well in one subject but now I am not sure anymore. The only reason I had kept it for in case it is a prerequisite for uni courses. I am interested in doing a double degree of commerce and arts. I know some universities require it is a prerequisite for commerce or business degrees. If I do drop it, then will it restrict me from entering any universities?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I am unsure whether to drop Advanced Maths or not. I don't mind the subject (I don't hate it) but I wouldn't say that I really like it. In terms of marks in all my subjects, maths is the lowest and it requires a lot of time and effort. I was first keeping Maths as safeguard in case I don't do well in one subject but now I am not sure anymore.
If you are 100% sure you can perform well in your remaining 10 units, then I would advise you to drop Mathematics Advanced. Doing so will allow you to spend the time you normally do on maths on studying for your other subjects. 10 units will require you to be determined and diligent to ensure you perform well in all of your units, because not doing so means you're putting yourself at risk of not performing well in a particular subject, in which case there will be no backup.

The only reason I had kept it for in case it is a prerequisite for uni courses. I am interested in doing a double degree of commerce and arts. I know some universities require it is a prerequisite for commerce or business degrees.
I don't think business/commerce degrees have maths as a prerequisite (USyd does apparently - unless it's not a business/commerce degree but rather something related to it). Mine did but that was only to guarantee early entry. The need to be good at maths will also depend on which area of business/commerce you wish to study (your major). Some majors may require little to no mathematical knowledge as that is not as relevant (HRM, management) as opposed to other majors that rely more on maths and numbers (mainly finance/accounting/economics).

Last edited:

quickoats

HSC
If I do drop it, then will it restrict me from entering any universities?
Only for USyd which has the maths adv prereq.
I will note that USyd does not offer a Arts/Commerce degree - instead, they have their suite of "Advanced Studies" 4 year degrees which allow you to major in 2 seperate faculties. So you could do a commerce major and an arts major under a BArts BAdvSt which does not have the maths prereq. Doing these two majors would be slightly different under a BCom BAdvSt program but tbh it's the same stuff except for a couple of units here and there.
Hope this helps :)

student711

HSC
If you are 100% sure you can perform well in your remaining 10 units, then I would advise you to drop Mathematics Advanced. Doing so will allow you to spend the time you normally do on maths on studying for your other subjects. 10 units will require you to be determined and diligent to ensure you perform well in all of your units, because not doing so means you're putting yourself at risk of not performing well in a particular subject, in which case there will be no backup.

I don't think business/commerce degrees have maths as a prerequisite (USyd does apparently - unless it's not a business/commerce degree but rather something related to it). Mine did but that was only to guarantee early entry. The need to be good at maths will also depend on which area of business/commerce you wish to study (your major). Some majors may require little to no mathematical knowledge as that is not as relevant (HRM, management) as opposed to other majors that rely more on maths and numbers (mainly finance/accounting/economics).
Yes, that helps. The rest of my subjects are stronger than maths but that does have that risk that all your units will be counted for the HSC.

student711

HSC
Only for USyd which has the maths adv prereq.
I will note that USyd does not offer a Arts/Commerce degree - instead, they have their suite of "Advanced Studies" 4 year degrees which allow you to major in 2 seperate faculties. So you could do a commerce major and an arts major under a BArts BAdvSt which does not have the maths prereq. Doing these two majors would be slightly different under a BCom BAdvSt program but tbh it's the same stuff except for a couple of units here and there.
Hope this helps :)
yes this does clear some stuff, thank you

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)