• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

HELP!!! space probe (1 Viewer)

HSC*is*near

HSC
outline how it is possible to increase the speed of a space probe (and change its direction) without using any of the fuel it is carrying.

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
Hmmm, tricky one. But Newton's Third Law states that for any action there is an equal and opposite reaction. I am assuming this space probe is in the weightless vacuum of space (if not, correct me).

A jet of air to one side or behind will certain increase speed or direction and it wouldn't use fuel just precious gases.

There is also the possibility of using the gravity effect of a larger body to "sling shot" it around that body. That would change the direction and speed of the space probe. Scientists use this all the time.

HSC*is*near

HSC
humm... yeh that sort helps... so if i put in newton's third law and sling shot effect would that answer the question..??? or do i need to put in anything more??

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
hmmmm i think u need to explain how the slingshot effect works, through the Law of Conservation of Momentum.

additionally, for a space probe that is about to be launched from earth, using the earth's axial rotation would help as well. also need to provide a brief explanation as well.

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
Indeed. You need to work a nice answer that uses keywords but then explains them. So to say that you can use the Slingshot effect, is not enough. You then need to explain that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)