• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

help w history assignment (nazi) (2 Viewers)

jane1820

HSC
how to analyse a letter that doesnt tell u waht u want it to tell u? like i tried looking for letters abt ppl saying that auschwitz is bad n shit but everyone is always like 'oh im good oh im fine' i thought auschwitz was the worst?

anyways i found a letter abt a father describing the camp to his son, i can find the values of the source additionally i dont know how to analyse it without making it sound boring? anyone who does modern hsitory can u either help me analyse this properly and/or give me a letter from a victim (primary source at the time)?

thank you much appreciated

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
how to analyse a letter that doesnt tell u waht u want it to tell u? like i tried looking for letters abt ppl saying that auschwitz is bad n shit but everyone is always like 'oh im good oh im fine' i thought auschwitz was the worst?

anyways i found a letter abt a father describing the camp to his son, i can find the values of the source additionally i dont know how to analyse it without making it sound boring? anyone who does modern hsitory can u either help me analyse this properly and/or give me a letter from a victim (primary source at the time)?

i mean it's a concentration camp, there were a bunch of regulations (eg. letters had to be written only in german, which meant that jews, the majority of which were from outside of germany, wouldn't be able to correspond anyway) and even then censorship was a thing in those camps, if there was anything that said 'oh it's bad af' at best they'd be seized and never sent out of the camps, and you can guess at worst. i don't think there were many letters from victims for that reason. for actual testimonies about how bad auschwitz was (and it was very bad), there's a lot of from post-war trials prosecuting nazis and testimonies documented for holocaust commemorations and memorials - these were environments were they were not subject to censorship, and the victims felt a lot more "comfortable" talking about their experiences

value of source: look at the perspective of the source (is it by a victim, or a nazi officer in the camp? is it even from inside the camp? if so, how does this affect the source?), look at the nature of the source (primary / secondary, type of source eg. letter, picture, etc), examine the actual content and what it tells u, then any limitations the source could provide u

tigerian

HSC
N/A

My name is Mr McAlpin As well as English I’m a qualfied modern history teacher as well . I can try and explain to you . Please refer to the question you are concerned about and I will explain to you

Pamandian@iinet.net.au

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)