• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

help with assignment - networking. (1 Viewer)

muzman

HSC
ok. so my assignment is due in on thursday. and im stuck on the last two questions and this is my last hope lol.

1) Find common levels of network and helpdesk support in Information Technology Business and write a description of what each level doe sin regards to rectifying faults.

2) Reasearch common procedures used to log and report system faults in a business and list them with a short description.

any help would be much appreciated.
thanks.

kalli

HSC
muzman said:
ok. so my assignment is due in on thursday. and im stuck on the last two questions and this is my last hope lol.

1) Find common levels of network and helpdesk support in Information Technology Business and write a description of what each level doe sin regards to rectifying faults.

2) Reasearch common procedures used to log and report system faults in a business and list them with a short description.

any help would be much appreciated.
thanks.
1. Is this talking about Level 1, Level 2 etc? I suggest looking on seek for job descriptions...

2. This is a bit trickier as every business is different. I would say generally these days most businesses use emails (unless they have a specific defect program). When I was working at bigpond helpdesk we had email templates to fill out and escalate to 2 higher departments. Now, at australia post, it's a similar scenario. If it helps I'll describe the situation at both places...

Bigpond
1st level support (us phone monkeys) takes calls from customers. Our job is to weed out all the simple tasks (e.g. Turn the modem on and hey presto! The net starts to work). We also try to solve the more difficult problems.

If we can't solve the problem, we have the option to call our supervisors for their help. If we still can't solve the problem then we have to "escalate". Problems regarding network faults go to one department. Email/webmail/account faults go to another department. Once at these higher department, they then get passed on to specific areas depending on what the fault is.

Auspost
If we have any problems or requests we send an email (we use a template) to the support department. The support department then assign the query to the correct sub-department (accounts, hardware, software etc). This is similar but not as complex as bigpond.

I think its also good to note things like Service Level Agreements (SLA's - how long it is supposed to take to fix a fault), First Call Resolution (FCR - solving the problem the first time so the user doesnt have to call back) and Average Handling Time (AHT - how long actually spent on each problem). These terms are all commonplace in a support environment.

Hope this gives you a real-world perspective. Whim me if you want more info...

Last edited:

fatmuscle

HSC
you want what each level does in regards to faults?
or what typical roles they have?

Level 1 - desktop support, basic application support, basic networking
Level 2 - more indepth desktop/apps support. network support on level 2 is for managed switches, configs of servers, routers
Level 3 - you start dealing with your overall LAN, how it interacts with your WAN.

but that's talking about an internal company's IT Support. I'm just putting a few pointers here and there. of course there are MANY other roles in each level.

different places have their different levels and what people do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)