• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Help with deciding what uni i should attend (2 Viewers)

kurtb22

HSC
Hi, I am currently at Latrobe university study's accounting and applied for a transfer to melbourne to start 2011. I received an offer. Now this is where i am unsure, if i should accept it.

My main reason for transfering to Melbourne was b/c it would give me a better opportunity to get into banking, however i have decided against that b/c i def do no want to be working 15 hour shifts and want to enjoy my life. Also considering i really don't have any interest in the finance industry outside of university. So Im thinking of sticking with accounting where i wont have to work as much.

I have completed 12 subjects at Latrobe and next year if i stayed there i would probably do 6 subjects each semester so i would finish at the end of the year. I have spoken to the department at Latrobe and they will allow this. My grades here are very good average 80 first year, 85 for second year and got awards for 3 subjects.

If I am just aiming to work at a big 4, will i be at much of a disadvantage graduating from Latrobe?

Should i accept at Melbourne? I'm pretty sure they will definelty not give me credit for all 12 subjects, maybe 9-10. Thats more money down the drain and probably another 2 years at university before i start work, compared to 1 more year if i stay at Latrobe.
Though i feel university so far at Latrobe has been a waste of my time, i have learnt nothing, ive done so good b/c i can remember pretty much anything after reading it a couple of times and i cant imagine Melbourne would be much different....Just another course of rote learning useless info that can be learned in private or on the job. This is also why i want to get out of uni as quickly as possible.

Thanks in advance

nedzelic

HSC
I think generally if you go to Melbourne, Sydney for UNSW, it is better to get jobs in finance/accy. It appears to be not so much a problem for Big Four accounting, but it is for IB and Big four banks

RDX

one8seven
HSC
Uni Grad
Depends, I guess if you're doing well at La Trobe and content with the path that it takes you then you could just continue.

Note: I go to Melbourne though :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)