Help with Discovery speech... please (1 Viewer)

benjamin-webster

HSC
As my first assessment task for year 12 I have to do a speech on Che Guevara. The question is, "The trouble with discovery is once your eyes have been opened there is no going back" To what extend does your prescribed area of study (being Motor cycle diarys by Che Guevara) engage with this idea?

I have copied bellow my current speech but it need some help so anyone who could point me in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

The Motor Cycle Diary’s by Ernesto Guevara is a book depicting how a lively young man expands his consciousness through his journey across the continent of South America. “The enormity of our endeavour escaped us in those moments all we could see was the dust on the road ahead of ourselves on the bike, devouring kilometres in our flights northward.” – Ernesto Guevara’s quote speaks about how his eye opening nine month journey has had a profound impact on him. Now unable to once again go back to his previous state of ignorance. Che’s journey starts out explaining his life; his wealthy middle class and educated background shows Che to be an unlikely candidate for the journey of change depicted throughout the motorcycle diaries. Che’s realization that medical school isn’t a good fit for him becomes the start of his transformation.

As Che becomes further immersed in the South American landscape he begins to witness the inequality the indigenous people are subject to. The first eye opener for Che is the conditions that the Chilean miners live and work in. The emotive language used in the text reinforces this, he goes onto to explain how the “workers ruin their health, in search of crumbs which barley provide their subsistence.” Che meetings a Chilean couple who are walking to find work, they don’t have a blanket and although he speaks of how cold he and Alberto were that night Che’s pure intentions are demonstrated through his generosity of lending the couple his blanket. Che finds this discovery quite moving which is seen by his use of emotive language explaining how the mans “ fruitless pilgrimage in search of work and how his ‘companeros’, mysteriously disappeared and said to be somewhere at the bottom of the sea.” Guevara’s initial discovery of these people sparks a chain reaction within him. The intensity of his emotions towards the oppressors that shackle the indigenous people in poverty initiates a certain desire within himself to better the South American social landscape. “The Problem with discovery is that once your eyes have been open there is no going back.” This quote is noteworthy as in the motorcycle diary’s Che Guevara speaks of the journey and coming out of his passage through South America “the person who wrote these notes passed away… the person who polishes them is me no longer” the [emotive language] in this quote reflects on how his journey has fundamentally changed his beliefs and attitudes and how these changes have deeply changed him as a person.

As Guevara further discovers the social, geological and financial landscape of South America he discovers the corruption and inequality of the continent. Che’s passion for the South American people is once again demonstrated when he meets the Peruvian miners. The description of the indigenous people Guevara meets in Peru is horrifying in tone. “The people before us are a defeated race. Their stares give the impression they only go on living because it’s a habit they cant shake.” This moving language captures the effects of colonisation and the mistreatment of the Peruvians. The quote is almost suggesting that it would be better from the people to die than to keep of living in such horrible conditions. This highly emotive sequence of events further educates Guevara on the living conditions of the people. Guevara further uses these experiences as motivation for political, social and financial change later in life.

Flop21

HSC
"The trouble with discovery is once your eyes have been opened there is no going back"

With this idea there is also a deeper meaning. Throughout most of the novel he is recounting what he has experienced. However when recounting these experiences - he is seeing them with changed eyes because of his discoveries.

"When retold, our revising reflects new perspectives and understandings so the original story is never again our reality."

Therefore 'there is no going back'.

"Understanding this notion is the discovery we are all subject to: we are made different by experience. When retold, our revising reflects new perspectives and understandings so the original story is never again our reality."

I know this was not really specific, but hopefully it jogged up some ideas in your head and maybe helped you look deeper into the question.

Some specific advice about your speech - I skimmed it - but I'm pretty sure the actual question should be your thesis statement / the first sentence of your speech. Or probably something very similar re-worded. I usually write my 'speeches' exactly like my essays and add some speech like language in, e.g. putting a quote in the intro, engaging words etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)