Help with Indices question! (1 Viewer)

Constantspy977

sensational
HSC
Does anyone know how to do this question? I'm in year 8, but not sure how to do it, I feel like its simple but I just can't think of any way to do it. I got an answer but I'm just not sure Im correct, is it B? Even if I'm right or wrong, could you guys drop your methods because I feel like mine was time wasting and really impractical, much appreciated :)

How many digits are there in the answer for when this answer is written without indices?

(A) 122
(B) 123
(C) 124
(D) 243

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
It is a regular, though infrequent, idea that appears in maths exams - how to handle numbers that are beyond the range of a calculator. The trick here, as always, is to isolate powers of 10, that only move decimal points, and handle them manually. You may not have spotted that there were a whole lot of powers of 10 hidden in this calculation, but if you learn from it that looking for powers of 10 is a useful technique at times, then you have benefited from not only your mistake, but also from your wisdom in seeking help. :)

Constantspy977

sensational
HSC
It is a regular, though infrequent, idea that appears in maths exams - how to handle numbers that are beyond the range of a calculator. The trick here, as always, is to isolate powers of 10, that only move decimal points, and handle them manually. You may not have spotted that there were a whole lot of powers of 10 hidden in this calculation, but if you learn from it that looking for powers of 10 is a useful technique at times, then you have benefited from not only your mistake, but also from your wisdom in seeking help. :)
Hey! Thanks man it means a lot! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)