• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Help with my assignment, answers needed by thursday latest (1 Viewer)

redshift

HSC
Hello, ive done alot of research on my assignment and its based to do with maintaing a balance- gas and nutrients

Now i was wondering if some people could answer a few things im struggling to get a result for and ill list them

Oxygen
- its functions in the human body
- How its transported either illustrated or explained

Water
- Explain its function
- Explain/illustrate how its transported

Salts
- Explain its function
-Explain/illustrate how its transported

Lipids
-explain its function

Nitrogenous wastes
Protein and carbohydrates
-Explain its function

Justify why hemoglobin is essential to mammals and explain how the mammalian body adapts to deal with oxygen deperivation

Lol this is about 15% of my total assignment but if i could get answers listed catergories it would be so much appreciated.

CHEERS!!!

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
hmmm, which one are you not sure of or are all of the above you're not sure?

I'll just briefly give some of the answers so you know where's you're heading

Oxygen - required as a terminal electron acceptor in the mitochondria. Transported by diffusion

Water - solvent, which dissolves substances, transported by osmosis

Salts - for metabolic activities and cellular constituents. active or passive transport

Lipid - energy storage/ energy production. Transported by Pinocytosis (a form of endocytosis, hence active transport).

Nitrogenous wastes (urea, uric acid, ammonia), no function. removed by active and passive trasnport.

Proteins - catabolism to obtain amino acids, anabolism to make new proteins. energy production (trasnported by active transport (endocytosis).

Carbohydrate - energy production. transported by active transport, group translocation etc.

haemoglobin - 4 haem group for efficient transport of oxgen, easily binds to oxygen and easily releases it for gas exchange. See textbook for further information.

kow_dude

HSC
Oxygen
- its functions in the human body
Respiration to produce energy for various purposes such as heat production and muscle movement.
- How its transported either illustrated or explained
Attaches to Haemoglobin to form oxyhaemoglobin, which is carried around the body. The oxygen is then diffused into cells where needed.

Water
- Explain its function
Water is a very good solvent and dissolves many types of substances such as salts and facilitates their chemical interaction which helps metabolism.
Bloodplasma/osmosis

Salts
- Explain its function
Salt controls the amount of water in the human body. Maintains balance between cells and body fluids.
dissolved ions in blood plasma, diffused in cells via active transport

Lipids
-explain its function
Functions as an energy reserve and oxidizes to produce energy.

Nitrogenous wastes
function? lol...

Protein and carbohydrates

-Explain its function
Carry out metabolism. There are different proteins that perform different functions.

Haemoglobin maximises oxygen uptake in the lungs, carries in the RBC's and release in other tissues.

redshift

HSC
Omg thank you so much, THAT HAS HELPED BIG TIME!!!!!!

I got about 5 % of that information since when i last posted here so its a big help.

THanx

redshift

HSC
Woopse i meant to add this for nitrogenous wastes

- Describe what it is
- Explain its function
- Explain/illustrate how it is transported

Also im having difficulty locating anything for this on the net or in my text books
"include an anatomical diagram to illustrate the systems that each of these substances are transported in and through"

they are
Carbon Dioxide
Oxygen
Water
Salts
Lipids
Nitrogenous wastes
OTher products of digestion( i chose carbs and proteins, is that what that means?)

Well ill say in not a bio fan im more into IT and networking and programming so thats why i may seem a bit dumb at this, but physics is alright :)

kow_dude

HSC
- Describe what it is
Nitrogenous wastes are the by-products of the breakdown of proteins and nucleic acids. Proteins contain the atom nitrogen... so as proteins are broken down into amino acids, the nitrogen atoms are removed. This causes nitrogenous wastes to build up.

- Explain its function
Nitrogenous wastes have no useful function in the body. They only slow down metabolism and poison cells.
However, nitrogenous wastes plays a role in 'The Nitrogen Cycle'. The nitrogenous wastes released by animals are decomposed by soil bacteria into nitrates. This improves soil quality which are used by plants. Herbivores comsumes these plants. Hence, nitrogenous wastes plays a role in the nitrogen cycle.

- Explain/illustrate how it is transported
- not too sure

"include an anatomical diagram to illustrate the systems that each of these substances are transported in and through"

they are
Carbon Dioxide
Oxygen
Water
Salts
Lipids
Nitrogenous wastes
OTher products of digestion( i chose carbs and proteins, is that what that means?)

- The movement of the above wastes are not stricted and are produced all over our bodies. Therefore you cannot generally illustrate how these substances are transported. I could suggest you that you provide sample scenarios and description for each of the above wastes. For example, you are sprinting to a train. The mitochondria in your muscle cells rapidly produces carbon dioxide. You can illustrate that the carbon dioxide is transported from your muscles (legs) to the lungs and out via the trachea on your anatonomical diagram.

A sample diagram:

redshift

HSC
Man do you have msn? Ill need ya email to see if ya can check over my work to see if its correct because it isnt as if its alot for reading over to detail but it would be great if ya could do it.

THanks so much for the help.

redshift

HSC
How are proteins and carborhydrates transported and im totally done.

kow_dude

HSC
Yes i do have msn but i prefer you post your questions/problems here so that Survivor39 and others can help you.

redshift

HSC
Ok well i need to find out how carbs and proteins are transported through the body. Found some diagrams outta encarta for the anatomical diagrams.

redshift

HSC
Mike knows what he is talking about.

YES I FINISHED IT, WHAT A ACCOMPLISHEMENT LOL!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)