• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Help with question 11? (1 Viewer)

Bob_man

HSC
I've found the values for m (-12 and -20), but im not sure how to find α and β. The answers were apparently 1±√5 and -3±√5. IMG_7606.jpeg

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
My knowledge of polynomials is rather rusty, but given the fact that you found the values of m, you can substitute each value into the original equation and find the roots:

Starting with :

One of the roots will be , but according to the answer, it seems that we should disregard this, leaving us with:

i.e. , matching the answer provided.

Moving on to :

One of the roots will be , but according to the answer, it seems that we should disregard this, leaving us with:

i.e. , matching the answer provided.

There appears to be a different approach that would require the use of simultaneous equations, although I am not exactly sure as to how that would be performed.

I hope this helps! :D

5uckerberg

HSC
I've found the values for m (-12 and -20), but im not sure how to find α and β. The answers were apparently 1±√5 and -3±√5. View attachment 34884
Since you have shown that m=-12 and -20 then the style of attack would be to experiment with the fact that .
First and foremost depending on the sum and product of roots we can see clearly that if then m=-20 and if then m=-12. At this point, we start experimenting and therefore m=-20 one of your factors will look like this and for m=-12 then one of your factors will look like this . Use any method possible (Quadratic, complete the square or Po-Shen Loh method or etc.) find the roots

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)