HelP! with this question... (1 Viewer)

ace_212001

Im in dsesperate need help with this question... How has your understanding of the concept of "change" deepend in relation to the texts you have studied this year? In you answer refer to AWAY by Michael Gow, Stimulus material and related texts.
Can anyone be kind enough to help? Thankyou so much.
:)

PoLaRbEaR

The Bear
HSC
This sounds like any other question that you'll get in the exam...well the first thing you notice in the question is 'how', so you'll have to talk abt the techniques used in your texts...im not studying away so im not sure wat text type it is...these techniques are wat deepens your understanding of change...then you talk abt the stimulus and related texts [do at least 2 as it's a plural] and the techniques used in the texts...also try to link all the information together so there is a flow from one idea to the next...

cheri_986

I'm doing away as well, could you talk about how you see that changes can occur through influence - Gwen, Coral and the Door? I'm reall hopless at understandin questions, i wish they were in plain english so i would be able to understand!!! I need help to so anyone that has an answer please inform me too!!

Kn1ght_M4r3

the door yes is changing self but kinda can be seen as changing perspective.

Any discussion of changing self should be mostly dealing about about the characters and the way they develop and progress when exposed to the events of the play.

Talk about the situations which bring the families together and its through these situations that the change in self occurs.

Tom's family - learning about the inevitable death of tom brings about the change. The plays which he performs in helps them accept the future of tom.

Coral and Roy - the death of their son as well. But this is after the death of their son unlike Tom. It shows the change that occurs after the death.

Gwen and Jim and meg - Their family problems. Where Gwen wants to make sure meg has a happy life, she becomes really bossy and is too blind to see that it is destroying the family.

Also make sure you show the change by showing what each character was like before the change and after.
EG:

Gwen in the beginning is like a nagging wife. She goes off at Jim for losing the car keys. Nags about the choice of the school play. We see how she discrimates against Tom's family because they are factory workers.

ACT 2:
Prepraing the trip is not a fun one as Gwen becomes so obsessed about maken sure everything is perfect.

Then later on Gwen changes when she comes back from the walk with Tom's mother Vic. We assume this is where the change occurs because it doesn't say directly so we assume that Vic told Gwen about Tom. [We had a major discussion in class about that h0w can i forget lol.]

When we see gwen after the walk she starts to show emotions. Not only that but she apologises. And in the end we see how Gwens "thunderous Applause" which shows her change.

And yeah just something like that for all the characters. well the main ones.

craz

HSC
strangely enough i've done this question before at my school - only at the beginning of this year.

OK lets see

Related text it's a bit hard for me to say - but you should talk about the character's changes and what causes them to change.

Away

Coral's change - from grieving - she's withdrawn and not really with it...tom changes it when she realised his mortality. She learns to walk. Quote: "I'm walking" and the bit at the end with her and Roy with the shells.

Gwen: the bitchy mother who is always complaining, had a bad childhood ran away during the depression years. She learns not to complain and stop being so grumpy. quote: "I need a bex". Tom is also her catalyst for change...she realises she cant keep on going on like this for all her life. quote: "there's a terrible taste in my mouth" and "I'm sorry".

Let's see...then there are minor characters like Rick and Leonie...who change because Coral forces them to reveal what is wrong and she tries to get them back on the right track.

there's heaps more...changing self cos of place, character, rite of passage etc.

Stimulus booklet - I did "The Door" and "Sky high", the changes are

"Sky high" from childhood to adulthood. Quote: It's an older, more age warned washing line i reach up to now". Changing self - she's aware that she's older with more responsibility, compared to when she was carefree as a child. Some techniques include physical features, figurative language, p.o.v., similes, metaphors etc.

"The door" challenges you to go out there and explore. it's expectant and melancholy. "Go and open the door" - it like forces you to go and see what is beyond the door...there will be many changes.

any other questions i maybe able to help?
:cool: email me at jessicayuen1@yahoo.com.au

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)