• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

help with viva voce (1 Viewer)

Giant Lobster

HSC
I know it means 'live voice', and although I know what I'm doing (to an adequate extent) I dont think I can smoothly articulate on the spot. But if I prepare a speech, and read from cards or memory, it won't really be a 'live' voice, but rather 'stale' in that sense :(

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
I don't think you're allowed to have palm cards, etc. I know with my school, they give you questions weeks before, those similar to what the panel will be asking. All you can do is prepare for those questions, and hope they choose some of those! It doesn't sound hopeful, I know, but it's all about knowing your major work.

Articulating yourself is extremely hard. Do you guys have 'mock' viva voce? If not, ask your teacher if you can do that. It'll help you get into the mood of answering questions on the spot.

KarmaKitten

HSC
Just work on the dot points they gave you and try and remember some key points you want to discuss with them. Practise a bit but the teachers understood this is not a formal speech.

Giant Lobster

HSC
no time for 'mocking' :(
my viva comes in 2 days! :eek:

we can have anything we want, I think the teachers implied somewhere we can even read from a sheet, but also implied that we won't get top marks if we do that. (obviously...)

frankie

at my skol they gave us a marking criteria, basically based on how well you present.
-explain what you want to achieve, what you've been doing, and whats in your journal.

we also hav to hav a sample work, and go thru that.. but mayb thats jus my skol
apparently the best ones didnt have anything to read from, but had overheads, posters, powerpoints or watever with points on it, and just expanded on them.

Last edited:

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
Oh ok....well like I said, if they have given you sample questions just go through those. It's not as scary as you think. I sat in on last year's viva voce. If you know your major work (which of course u would) then you don't have a problem. A very popular question is: How can you show that your major work was completed of independent research? That question is a killer.

And if you're doing a short story, make sure u know your themes and how they will come through in the story.

Don't stress too much. The teachers do know how stressful it is, so I doubt they'll eat you alive. Just make sure you're confident with your major work. And speak as though you're a 30 year old businessman! SOPHISTICATED!!!

Good luck!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)