bio
science extension (for y 12)
music 1
music 2
eco

ty very very much :>

penaddictT-T

HSC
do you know the difference between them?
i heard 1 is more free than 2 but 2 scales better
are both enjoyable?
if u wanted to know my skill level: amusa piano ameb (recently passed that hehe)

Average Boreduser

Rising Renewal
HSC
do you know the difference between them?
i heard 1 is more free than 2 but 2 scales better
are both enjoyable?
if u wanted to know my skill level: amusa piano ameb (recently passed that hehe)
I currently do music 1 as a bludge. my 1st term assessment was a composition using garageband and a viva. My next one was a performance with a viva, and the final one is going to be an in class exam on noticing music devices in pieces. it's pretty eh tbh. I straight go in and start to work on my other subjects since I do not plan on keeping it bc 12 is too many units. 2 scales better but its way more competitive and the exams from what I remember is pretty performace dominated. I remember some assessments had a part a and b and crap which imo looks like too much work for a music subject lmao. If you want to use music as a bludge- music 1 is the go. If you are passionate in the fields of music, def pick 2.

Average Boreduser

Rising Renewal
HSC
hi :> doing subject selections for y 11

would like to know opinions on:
physics
chem
bio
music 1
music 2
eco

Phys chem r the goat combo for sciences (esp phys if u want to do mx2- as mod 1/2 will give you a head start on mechs). If you like ecosystems and memorising textbooks and not touching grass and u have a reputation of being that one kid in school thats always in the front writing parragraphs of notes and asking 10000000 questions in order to 'impress' the teacher -> biology :argue:. Eco is eh. if u r doing the asian 5 I'd suggest just find something to bludge lmao.

Last edited:

he1nl

HSC
Phys chem r the goat combo for sciences (esp phys if u want to do mx2- as mod 1/2 will give you a head start on mechs). If you like ecosystems and memorising textbooks and not touching grass and u have a reputation of being that one kid in school thats always in the front writing parragraphs of notes and asking 10000000 questions in order to 'impress' the teacher -> biology :argue:. Eco is eh. if u r doing the asian 5 I'd suggest just find something to bludge lmao.
i would say something about the biology slander but then i would fit exactly into your description :(

he1nl

HSC
erm ackually, i touch grass 🤓 erm ackually, i'm technically grass because cellular respiration genetic engineering inoculation bt cotton swan-neck pasteur phagocytosis adaptive immune system 🤓 please do not speak to me i think you need to be quarantined for a week from the way you're spreading your infectious bs at me 🤓

C_master

HSC
erm ackually, i touch grass 🤓 erm ackually, i'm technically grass because cellular respiration genetic engineering inoculation bt cotton swan-neck pasteur phagocytosis adaptive immune system 🤓 please do not speak to me i think you need to be quarantined for a week from the way you're spreading your infectious bs at me 🤓
clapped

white_night

HSC

physics
chem
bio
music 1
music 2
eco

physics
chem
bio
music 1
music 2
eco

If you want my opinion...
Physics is boring ;)
Chem is ok.
Bio is a lot of memorising but not bad if you're interested in content.
Science extension is one big science project so if you like that kind of stuff go for it
music 2 >>>>>>>> music 1
eco is alright.

but I think it's better to ask students/teachers who have done/taught the subject for their own experiences

liamkk112

HSC

physics
chem
bio
music 1
music 2
eco

i took all 3 sciences in year 11 so this was my experience:

physics and chem can be difficult conceptually, i absolutely flunked chem in year 11 because i straight up had no idea wtf was happening in that class no matter how much effort i put in, i know people who found it alright though but just consider your strengths in science - if you enjoyed learning stuff like mixtures, states of matter, the electron shell stuff you'll probably like and be successful at chem - whereas if u liked learning stuff like astronomy and newton's laws then you'll probably enjoy physics. don't get me wrong u go into much more stuff but thats about all u can go off of in year 10. physics and chem also need some moderate algebra skills, essentially if u can rearrange a formula and are comfortable with index laws, logarithms and exponentials youll be good in most cases, and also i'd recommend at least advanced math for both, especially in physics where you will learn a lot of things that involve differentiation and integration which is taught in adv (you won't have to use it in physics and only have to use algebra, but trust me when i say it will help a lot to understand what is happening at a deeper level than just algebra which is taught in advanced)

bio compared to the other sciences has much much more information, the subject is mostly writing and data analysis whereas phys and chem have a decent mix of computations and theory. i found bio to be okay, it was certainly the most "conceptually simple" subject compared to phys and chem but the amount of memorisation makes up for that (u do need to know concepts but they're fairly intuitive, like everyone can understand infectious diseases at a basic level), you really need to know the textbook inside out and personally my skills aren't really strong in the memorisation category so i struggled a fair bit. bio is kind of a 50-50 mix between experiments and writing whereas phys and chem are a mix between computations, experiments and writing, with probably 50% computations, 40% writing and 10% experiments for physics, and 40% computations, 30% writing and 30% experiments for chem.

id recommend that when deciding between bio chem and phys, consider what your strengths lie in, personally i realised that i much preferred the math-based questions in physics and that the theory was much more interesting than bio, and i couldn't really ever understand chem for whatever reason and didn't really like/excel at the labs (im very clumsy). so if you're picking a science for labs/experiments -> bio or chem, picking a science for computations -> phys or chem, picking a science for writing -> chem or bio. from there i'd just pick whichever ones interested u the most in previous years, or just pick 2 and decide to drop later.

keep in mind that if u pick 3 sciences at once u will have a good chunk of lab work (specifically in bio and chem, phys had not too much) and three depth studies (essentially little research projects) that will probably be due at similar times. imo two is manageable, don't pick 3 unless if you REALLY and i mean REALLY like science and found it a breeze in year 10, like you can see yourself studying chemistry and biology and physics all day every day and won't get tired of it. otherwise you'll probably want to drop asap because it will be a lot to understand at once and you'll be unnecessarily stressed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)