Here are my bad ranks, pls offer helpful success stories (1 Viewer)

tiresixkirbae

HSC
Hello. I’d like to hear if anyone has been in a similar situation and ended up getting an atar above 80.

My school last year was ranked between 220-240. I realised last min that I want to study a course that requires an atar above 85. Very sad now that I had truly fiddled my way through, didn’t submit sections of tasks 1-3 and literally did not study for trials. I’d still be incredibly happy with an atar above 80.

These are my ranks reflective of this behaviour

Eng adv
61/64 (I got a 0 for one of the tasks)

Ancient
22/47

Modern
17/34

SOR II
10/24

Drama
6/13

Pls share any stories that will raise my vibrations.

StudyOnly

HSC
No one here can guess for sure, and don't let these estimates drag you down (often they are wrong). Just put your head down and study...

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
No one here can guess for sure, and don't let these estimates drag you down (often they are wrong). Just put your head down and study...
It's always good to be realistic though, because over ambition always leads to disappointment. Hence it's always good to have something realistic to aim for.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
it's probably not going to happen as your internal marks are not that good and there's only a month left, so there is only so much you can improve in all your subjects. You would need to increase everything across the board something like 30%. Best thing you can do now is try to set out a plan that you can transfer into the degree with after a year of doing a different degree if u still want to do it (which means you will have to perform at uni as well to satisfy the transfer requirement, so I would figure out what are the reasons you were not motivated and try solve them because there will be no one telling you to submit stuff or do hw or even go to class at uni, so you are likely to fall into the same habits if you don't address them before uni begins)

tiresixkirbae

HSC
it's probably not going to happen as your internal marks are not that good and there's only a month left, so there is only so much you can improve in all your subjects. You would need to increase everything across the board something like 30%. Best thing you can do now is try to set out a plan that you can transfer into the degree with after a year of doing a different degree if u still want to do it (which means you will have to perform at uni as well to satisfy the transfer requirement, so I would figure out what are the reasons you were not motivated and try solve them because there will be no one telling you to submit stuff or do hw or even go to class at uni, so you are likely to fall into the same habits if you don't address them before uni begins)
Thank you! I cherish your thought. For most of my trial exams (All excl. English, I got 51%) I received 68-72 without studying, and before year 12 started all of my teachers had said that I was an easy band 6, then I super lazy and now I'm here, but if I achieve over 95 in my exams, do you think it would be possible to pull my final results high enough to achieve an 80 atar? Lol ty ty

& I'm sorry if this sounds really silly

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Thank you! I cherish your thought. For most of my trial exams (All excl. English, I got 51%) I received 68-72 without studying, and before year 12 started all of my teachers had said that I was an easy band 6, then I super lazy and now I'm here, but if I achieve over 95 in my exams, do you think it would be possible to pull my final results high enough to achieve an 80 atar? Lol ty ty

& I'm sorry if this sounds really silly
It’s probably unlikely you will get 95s in your exams, some people study all year and never reach that level. Just do the best you can and see what happens

tiresixkirbae

HSC
It’s probably unlikely you will get 95s in your exams, some people study all year and never reach that level. Just do the best you can and see what happens
Wow I love your brutal honesty. Thank you! ❤

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
I would just say overall sometimes failing to achieve what you want might seem bad at the time. Often in hsc I know friends who I thought would get 95 atars before year 12 started and for whatever reason they dropped off and didn’t do that well. But it can often teach you valuable lessons. Some of those people are now doing just fine in uni and you can see it changed their habits with that shock. The people who learn from those mistakes will reach the goal they set. The ATAR is there to be a first easy entry into your desired career path, but is by no means the be all end all, if your degree is not something like law or medicine which is probably very difficult to get into even with good marks, then you can get there even if it takes slightly longer. Sometimes not the smartest person gets the best mark. HSC is largely about the amount of effort you put in rather than always being about the intelligence level. Just from personal experience nothing to do with hsc but I bludged one of my terms in uni because I was having like some trouble outside of uni with like an injury so wasn’t really all there in terms of wanting to study, (didn’t fail but like got much lower than what what you would expect for someone with my atar). Something I am still not happy about, and sometimes you just think wtf was I doing then, but that experience really woke me up that how much effort I put in is going to overcome any natural ability I have. So I spent more time forcing myself to do things and sure enough I did way better, which in the long term looking back now I would say I turned the negative into a positive by not repeating it again. So just take it as a lesson and learn from it so whatever you do in the future you don’t make similar mistakes

tiresixkirbae

HSC
I would just say overall sometimes failing to achieve what you want might seem bad at the time. Often in hsc I know friends who I thought would get 95 atars before year 12 started and for whatever reason they dropped off and didn’t do that well. But it can often teach you valuable lessons. Some of those people are now doing just fine in uni and you can see it changed their habits with that shock. The people who learn from those mistakes will reach the goal they set. The ATAR is there to be a first easy entry into your desired career path, but is by no means the be all end all, if your degree is not something like law or medicine which is probably very difficult to get into even with good marks, then you can get there even if it takes slightly longer. Sometimes not the smartest person gets the best mark. HSC is largely about the amount of effort you put in rather than always being about the intelligence level. Just from personal experience nothing to do with hsc but I bludged one of my terms in uni because I was having like some trouble outside of uni with like an injury so wasn’t really all there in terms of wanting to study, (didn’t fail but like got much lower than what what you would expect for someone with my atar). Something I am still not happy about, and sometimes you just think wtf was I doing then, but that experience really woke me up that how much effort I put in is going to overcome any natural ability I have. So I spent more time forcing myself to do things and sure enough I did way better, which in the long term looking back now I would say I turned the negative into a positive by not repeating it again. So just take it as a lesson and learn from it so whatever you do in the future you don’t make similar mistakes
Thank you, thank you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)