Hey I have about 1000 words that needs to be reduced down to around 800 (1 Viewer)

corey017

HSC
Hello, I'm not too sure about the relevance of all the info I've included in this. Any suggestions about what I should exclude from this?? thanks!!! around 1000 words need to be about 800
(bottom part is just information that i intend on using for the last part of my 2nd paragraph)

Describe the early life of Agrippina the Younger until the death of Caligula. (AD41)
10 marks (750 words)

Agrippina was born during AD 15 into a family that would ultimately shape her future as the key figures portrayed in her life influenced a large portion of her decisions such as her first marriage, that was orchestrated due to political reasons. She gave birth to Nero, shortly after the death of Tiberius. After the death of Tiberius, Caligula came into power gave Agrippina and her sisters honorary status. Toward the end Caligula’s reign, she was then accused to be involved in a conspiracy in AD 39 leading to her be put in exile.

Agrippina was born into the illustrious Julio-Claudian family during AD 15 on November the 6th, in the winter quarters of her father’s army at Oppidum Ubiorum, while Germanicus was campaigning against various German tribes in attempt to extend the Roman empire. Her family background constructed a crucial foundation for her power and influence, as she both observed vital lessons of exerting power, and was provided a platform to build patron-client relationships. In addition, a forthright descendant of Augustus, Agrippina the Elder developed an essential basis of her daughter’s genealogy guiding and indoctrinating her with lessons that would later demonstrate crucial to her political career and advancement.
“From observation of her mother knew no feminine weakness” (Tacitus), Agrippina learnt to utilize her feminine stratagems as a tool for persuasion and influence; alluded to by Barrett who states that she saw sex as “a means…to power”. As for her father, Germanicus was a fundamental connection for Agrippina as he was profoundly popular and known throughout the roman society and army, his triumphal success in Germany corroborated by Barrett as being “a memorable event that his daughter would utilize as much as possible” and validated by Tacitus who expresses that outcome of his triumph “was enhanced…through the five Children”. Through this, one is able to deduce that Germanicus exploited his children for the purpose of a propaganda effect; an early influence on Agrippina’s manipulative and devious nature, as well as Agrippina the Elder contributing to the outcome of Agrippina the Younger. Hence, Grant’s remark that “she grew up in an appalling atmosphere of malevolence, suspicion and criminal violence” is congruent with the account that her family background had a major influence on the ambitions that would continue to mark her life. Which included achieving imperial status and promoting her son in hopes of the succession of Nero to princeps. Her first marriage at the age of 13 during AD 28 was to Domititius, orchestrated by Tiberius. The marriage was believed to be political in nature, but the marriage seemed to have no impact on the political battles which were taking place at the time. It also underlined the significance of family background and status as she was now connected to the family of Domitii, “everybody seemed to be linked to everybody else” (Tacitus). The connection with the family also provided her with protection against the background attacks on the family of Germanicus. The marriage also boosted her wealth immensely. Therefore, the influence of her family background sculpted her persona, distinguishing her primary life goals and her lust for power.

Agrippina’s experiences during the reign of Caligula consisted of escaping the mayhem of Tiberius along with her sisters and Caligula, after several of her family members were killed. Giving birth to Nero, obtaining honorary status then eventually being accused of being involved in a conspiracy against Nero, leading to her exile. While Caligula was emperor, the family of Germanicus had been decreasing and eventually it was only Agrippina, Drusilla, Livilla and Caligula who was now living with emperor Tiberius on the island of Capri. Agrippina was able to escape the anarchy of Tiberius’ violent reign. Agrippina gave birth to the future emperor Nero, nine months after the demise of Tiberius in AD 37. Giving her a new status as a mother, she was later recognised as “best of mothers” or “optima mater”, this was an essential as becoming a matron was an expectation within the Roman society. Nero’s birth also initiated an aspiration that had an immense influence on her career, as she focused on the elevation of her son to princeps. She was successful in fulfilling her goal as Caligula was succeeded by Agrippina after the end of Tiberius’s cruel reign. One of Nero’s first acts was to make the position of his three sisters prominent, through giving them remarkable constitutional status. Examples of their status included being made honorary Vestal Virigns (highest public position a female can obtain), given seats within the imperial enclosure at games, they were also included in the annual vows of allegiance to the emperor: “I will hold myself and my children dearer than I hold Gaius and his sisters” Seutonius. He also issued coinage depicting his three sisters on the reverse, this was unprecedented as it was the first Roman coin that included the sisters of an emperor. Through this depiction their status was elevated considerably. “Caligula’s actions represent a key stage in the elevation of the women of the imperial house…they shared in the mystique and majesty of the principate” Bauman.

Did Lepidus see himself as a successor to Caligula who had been very ill? A link with a Julian princess such as Agrippina would do him no harm.
Agrippina’s husband was ill (Domitius dies in 40) and perhaps she felt that Lepidus was a “safe bet” for ensuring the future of her son, Nero.

“A marriage with Lepidus after her husband’s death would strengthen her position and her son’s at the same time. Like her mother Agrippina Minor was highly ambitious and it would not have been out of character is she had begun to scheme for Nero’s accession from the very outset.” Barrett.

Agrippina may have seen in Gaetulicus the military support necessary to gain and hold onto power.

“The rest of his sisters he did not love with so great affection, nor honour so highly, but often prostituted them to his favourites; so that he was the readier at the trial of Aemilius Lepidus to condemn them, as adulteresses and privy to the conspiracies against him.” Suetonius

Was this Agrippina’s first bid for power? Tacitus suggests as much: “In her earliest years she had employed an illicit relationship with Marcus Aemilius Lepidus as a means to power.”
Whatever the true details of the affair, Lepidus was condemned to death. Gaius humiliated Agrippina by forcing her to carry Lepidus’ bones back to Rome. She was then exiled to the Pontian islands and her property was confiscated. While in exile, Agrippina’s husband, Domitius died of dropsy; her son, Nero, was now looked after by his aunt, Domitia Lepida (mother of Messalina who married Claudius in 39).
In 41, Gaius was assassinated. His successor was his uncle, Claudius.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
By the way, shouldn't you be saying "Agrippina was born in AD 15" instead of "during"? There are other occurrences of this usage in your great essay.

By the way: in ". . political battles which were taking place at the time" you can remove "which were" completely. But it takes much more than that to prune 200 words.

Also: isn't "obverse" better than "reverse" for the coins?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)