• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

History at uni.. (1 Viewer)

zaqwerty

HSC
Just was wondering if anyone could tell me what universities in NSW would be best to look at if I wanted to study modern history.

Would it be a good idea to do a Bachelor of Social Sciences majoring in modern history as I do not wish to do a Bachelor of Arts?

This may be a silly question - but I have a strong passion for modern history but I feel as though there are not many career options in this field. Would it be disastrous for me to study modern history at university level if I don't wish to be a teacher of history (as there is not really much more you can do with history besides being a historian, of course)?

I have just completed my first year of my Bachelor of Psych and am torn. Do I continue with Psych, something I am interested in, and go into a decent, almost guaranteed job, or do I begin studying history, something I have a strong passion for, and leave uni with only a degree?

nimrod_dookie

Tryhard Geek
HSC
If you are interested in Psych...continue with that. Modern History is something you can research and become a buff on the side. Gotta remember that you will need a job to pay off that HECS debt.

spence

HSC
zaqwerty said:
Just was wondering if anyone could tell me what universities in NSW would be best to look at if I wanted to study modern history.

Would it be a good idea to do a Bachelor of Social Sciences majoring in modern history as I do not wish to do a Bachelor of Arts?

This may be a silly question - but I have a strong passion for modern history but I feel as though there are not many career options in this field. Would it be disastrous for me to study modern history at university level if I don't wish to be a teacher of history (as there is not really much more you can do with history besides being a historian, of course)?

I have just completed my first year of my Bachelor of Psych and am torn. Do I continue with Psych, something I am interested in, and go into a decent, almost guaranteed job, or do I begin studying history, something I have a strong passion for, and leave uni with only a degree?
Why don't you want to do a BA? If you're passionate about history, an arts degree would suit you well. Also, many unis let you major in psychology in an arts degree, so you could major in both history and psychology.

And you're right that there aren't many career opportunities specific to history graduates outside of teaching and academia, but the skills gained in the degree will help you in the workforce.

zaqwerty

HSC
spence said:
Why don't you want to do a BA? If you're passionate about history, an arts degree would suit you well. Also, many unis let you major in psychology in an arts degree, so you could major in both history and psychology.

And you're right that there aren't many career opportunities specific to history graduates outside of teaching and academia, but the skills gained in the degree will help you in the workforce.
I would prefer not doing a BA because I want to study in a more specific field, such as social sciences. If I'm going to eventually become a psychologist I don't want to change to a BA majoring in Psych and history because I have an almost guaranteed chance of getting into honours having completed by Bachelor of Psych. And, as I mentioned, I would prefer to complete a Bachelor of Psych because it is more specific (hope that makes sense).

Thus - it is either history or psychology. I have to choose and that's what I'm having the problem with.

lionking1191

HSC
zaqwerty said:
I would prefer not doing a BA because I want to study in a more specific field, such as social sciences. If I'm going to eventually become a psychologist I don't want to change to a BA majoring in Psych and history because I have an almost guaranteed chance of getting into honours having completed by Bachelor of Psych. And, as I mentioned, I would prefer to complete a Bachelor of Psych because it is more specific (hope that makes sense).

Thus - it is either history or psychology. I have to choose and that's what I'm having the problem with.
what are you currently doing? what about science/arts majoring in psychology and history? for the science degree it is the same as b. psychology + honours year.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
zaqwerty said:

Macquarie silly :p

Really, we've got the best teacher in Australia (Marnie Hughes-Warrington), and strong researchers and teachers (Michelle Arrow, Bridget Griffen-Foley, Mary Spongberg) just to name a few.

Kalashnikov47

HSC
zaqwerty said:

LOL my cousin does Psych in the US, he said dats the most ridiculous course ever to exist...

zaqwerty

HSC
AsyLum said:
Macquarie silly :p

Really, we've got the best teacher in Australia (Marnie Hughes-Warrington), and strong researchers and teachers (Michelle Arrow, Bridget Griffen-Foley, Mary Spongberg) just to name a few.
I thought Macquarie was big on ancient history.. And I wish to study modern?

zaqwerty

HSC
lionking1191 said:
what are you currently doing? what about science/arts majoring in psychology and history? for the science degree it is the same as b. psychology + honours year.
Currently doing a Bachelor of Psych. I don't want do anymore science than what's involved with psychology.

lionking1191

HSC
zaqwerty said:
I thought Macquarie was big on ancient history.. And I wish to study modern?
you are getting dennett as lecturer...i'd switch to ancient just for him :p

zaqwerty said:
Currently doing a Bachelor of Psych. I don't want do anymore science than what's involved with psychology.
if you major in psych. there won't be much other units, especially for combined degrees

lionking1191

HSC
KarmaKitten said:
Why cant you do two majors? Or do you not have enough room for it?
liberal studies maybe? does the psych. major satisfy APS requirements?

sirfeathers

HSC
yeah from what i've heard Macquarie is the go for history... one of the teachers from my school is an ex-Macquarie history lecturer and he's great!!

sirfeathers

HSC
Oh and to the OP - have you considered doing a double degree? BA/BPsych? That way you could combine your intellectual interests without being afraid of compromising your professional ones. And keep your options open.

That said though, if you know you're really really passionate about history, you shouldn't discount the possibility of an academic/ research related job in the area.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
sirfeathers said:
yeah from what i've heard Macquarie is the go for history... one of the teachers from my school is an ex-Macquarie history lecturer and he's great!!
Who is he if you don't mind me asking? :)

lionking1191

HSC
sirfeathers said:
well, one of my ex-teachers is going to be a MQ lecturer :haha:

zaqwerty

HSC
sirfeathers said:
Oh and to the OP - have you considered doing a double degree? BA/BPsych? That way you could combine your intellectual interests without being afraid of compromising your professional ones. And keep your options open.

That said though, if you know you're really really passionate about history, you shouldn't discount the possibility of an academic/ research related job in the area.
I think I like that suggestion the most. But I don't even know if that's possible because the BPsych is very restrictive, practically every unit you do has to be a psych one. But I don't know much about degrees and what's possible within them, so I guess I can ask someone from the undergrad office.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)