• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

History ext: Worth doing or not? (2 Viewers)

icecubeX

HSC
Hey I'm not sure if History is ext is a subject worth the time and effort, so could someone tell me what I'm in for or what I should do?

(with History ext I have 12 units)

muzeikchun852

HSC
i got a friend whos doing history ext: he said that the work load should be worth more than one unit, but the up side is high scaling!

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Actually, it scales quite low. In 2008, the UAC scaled a mean mark of 38.1 down to 33.9, and even the highest mark at 49 was scaled down to 48.4. In 2007, the UAC scaled a mean mark of 37.9 down to 34, and a top mark of 50 was scaled to 49.5. It's not a good scaling subject.

High scaling is Extension English, and especially Extension Maths.

I have a friend doing History Ext. and it's quite theoretical from what I gather. They sit in the classroom and read papers.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
It's lots of work unless you go to a dodgy school, but you can handle the workload and like it then go for it :)

Actually, it scales quite low. In 2008, the UAC scaled a mean mark of 38.1 down to 33.9, and even the highest mark at 49 was scaled down to 48.4. In 2007, the UAC scaled a mean mark of 37.9 down to 34, and a top mark of 50 was scaled to 49.5. It's not a good scaling subject.

High scaling is Extension English, and especially Extension Maths.

I have a friend doing History Ext. and it's quite theoretical from what I gather. They sit in the classroom and read papers.
It's scales very well, relative to other subjects and even better than physics (but yes, it's capped)

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Forgot to say that, it's not a good scaling subject... compared to the other Extensions, I believe.

I just think if any subject is capped... well, that's not really 'nice', for lack of a better word. It means you can never ever get that mythical 500.00 aggregate, unless it's not counted.

icecubeX

HSC
Ok I guess.. I should do history ext for a while if I don't like it I'll drop it.

Kamal15

HSC
I did History Extension during the early part of my HSC but ultimately dropped it in term 1 2009. The subject has numerous advantages and enjoyment:
-Really interesting, fun and enjoyable subject content especially if you are interested in history
-Self centered learning very motivating
-Alot of freedom with the independant research project

However I felt as with most other people, the suubject had too much work for what was in the end only 1 unit. I had 15 units in total at that stage including my accelerated 2 of chem. So in dropping it my circumstances were prolly different to other people, but i definitely say try it and see how u go. U prolly wont regret it :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)