History Extension Log (All His Ext people please look) (1 Viewer)

Ellie_Belly

HSC
Just curious as to how everyone else is doing with their Major Work log for history extension. Please answer these questions:

a) how many entries have you made so far?
b) how often do you make an entry?
c) what do you tend to write about?

I have made 8 entries, and I need to catch up on a lot.
I started off making about one entry a week, but since the holidays the gap between each entry has widened.
I write about what research I've done, what I think of the research, and what I want to do with it. I've also got my proposal, marked, in there.

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
I have made about 5-6 entries
Not very often I make them, atm I've just been pasting in bits of information i've found helpful, quoting the source and highliting it ..
Also stated when I watched a film/read a book.

Just tend to write about what I did...and how I guess...
Gotta write proposal. ARGH.
and...
Gotta start practicing the past exam papers methinks :(

Last edited:

Ellie_Belly

HSC
luscious-llama said:
I have made about 5-6 entries
Not very often I make them, atm I've just been pasting in bits of information i've found helpful, quoting the source and highliting it ..
Also stated when I watched a film/read a book.

Just tend to write about what I did...and how I guess...
Gotta write proposal. ARGH.
and...
Gotta start practicing the past exam papers methinks :(

Thankyou for replying :) I think I need to start reading books, I've only used websites so far.
I wouldn't worry about practising the past exam papers so much. What I mean is, do it if you can, but don't stress if you can't. You still have a long time before the exams to get it right, so relax.
Good luck with your Major Work :)

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
generally you get the marks for the log book if you be specific of the research you have done, analysis the reliability and what you though about the source etc ... i have began to read one of my sources but barely anything has come up relating to my question so i think i have to refine it *sighz*. and yeah i havent even written anyway in my log yet as i forgot all about it lol.

hey luscious-llama if u need help with your proposal i can send you my one if you want, so you can get a rough idea of how to write it, what to include etc .. i got 23/25 for it as i lost marks because of my question ><* so a hint is to be very specific about the aspect of the area you want to research ! my one was too wide lol

Last edited:

Ellie_Belly

HSC
hopeles5ly said:
generally you get the marks for the log book if you be specific of the research you have done, analysis the reliability and what you though about the source etc ... i have began to read one of my sources but barely anything has come up relating to my question so i think i have to refine it *sighz*. and yeah i havent even written anyway in my log yet as i forgot all about it lol.
When do you have to hand your log in the first time? I have to hand mine in at the end of term 1 to be marked, which is worth 10% of the Major Work weighting.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Ellie_Belly said:
When do you have to hand your log in the first time? I have to hand mine in at the end of term 1 to be marked, which is worth 10% of the Major Work weighting.
end of term one and i think its about 10% as well. i forgot all about it as i mainly just been reading and highlighting points lol.

Ellie_Belly

HSC
hopeles5ly said:
end of term one and i think its about 10% as well. i forgot all about it as i mainly just been reading and highlighting points lol.

I wouldn't worry too much about that. If you need to catch up, just stick in your highlighted research and write comments on it like, "I want to pursue this issue further" or something. I guess that's what the log is for, so you HAVE technically started. There's other stuff you need to write too, but that's probably the best way to start.
I really need to start doing what you're doing- reading up and doing more research. I think I'm going to the library this weekend to do that.
Have you been to any of the Uni libraries? If so, have you found good information there?

X

xeuyrawp

Ellie_Belly said:
Just curious as to how everyone else is doing with their Major Work log for history extension. Please answer these questions:

I started off making about one entry a week, but since the holidays the gap between each entry has widened.
I write about what research I've done, what I think of the research, and what I want to do with it. I've also got my proposal, marked, in there.
Try not to think of it only as a part of the project, but an aid for you.

Write down everything that

1. you want to remember to do with your project (ie, books you want to go back to, interesting websites, etc). The overall quality of your mw is most important, and the 'I'll remember it in my head' and 'I'll do it later' syndromes can really kill a good idea.
2. everything you want your teachers to see you researched. It's also an opportunity for you to show off what you've done, what you're thinking, and what your direction is.

Try to attend your mw one day in the week and one day in the weekend; aim to fill up a few pages each sitting. Remember that quality is more important than quantity (it's actually true in this case, it's not just a cliche). :)

In relation to remembering stuff; obviously you would put a lot of stuff in there -- you could take it with you to the library, write down books you've read and want to reference, write down something you just remembered you want to include.

In terms of showing off (although this stuff will help your mw generally) -- write down all the sources you've looked at; write out important points not only about content, but historiographical stuff about the source itself. Make sure you even do basic stuff like looking at biases of the source; when it was written, by who, why, what it think's important, etc. Write down why this book is/isn't relevant, how it's shaped your question, how it will be involved in your mw, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Estel

Tutor
HSC
I fibbed the entire thing the morning (1 am?) it was due (last day of term 2). My teacher actually went through it and found some holes, one of which was quite embarassing: I claimed to have talked to him about my project at school on a day he was on leave.
Bear this in mind as I answer these questions:
a) I think I had about 2 typed pages at Size 12 font with generous spacing and margins for the period leading to February.
b) Once every 15 (?) seconds.
c) Various activities I should have done and the impact they should have had on my project.

Last edited:

Ellie_Belly

HSC
PwarYuex said:
Try not to think of it only as a part of the project, but an aid for you.

Write down everything that

1. you want to remember to do with your project (ie, books you want to go back to, interesting websites, etc). The overall quality of your mw is most important, and the 'I'll remember it in my head' and 'I'll do it later' syndromes can really kill a good idea.
2. everything you want your teachers to see you researched. It's also an opportunity for you to show off what you've done, what you're thinking, and what your direction is.

Try to attend your mw one day in the week and one day in the weekend; aim to fill up a few pages each sitting. Remember that quality is more important than quantity (it's actually true in this case, it's not just a cliche). :)

In relation to remembering stuff; obviously you would put a lot of stuff in there -- you could take it with you to the library, write down books you've read and want to reference, write down something you just remembered you want to include.

In terms of showing off (although this stuff will help your mw generally) -- write down all the sources you've looked at; write out important points not only about content, but historiographical stuff about the source itself. Make sure you even do basic stuff like looking at biases of the source; when it was written, by who, why, what it think's important, etc. Write down why this book is/isn't relevant, how it's shaped your question, how it will be involved in your mw, etc.

Thanks, that's really great help :)

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Ellie_Belly said:
I wouldn't worry too much about that. If you need to catch up, just stick in your highlighted research and write comments on it like, "I want to pursue this issue further" or something. I guess that's what the log is for, so you HAVE technically started. There's other stuff you need to write too, but that's probably the best way to start.
I really need to start doing what you're doing- reading up and doing more research. I think I'm going to the library this weekend to do that.
Have you been to any of the Uni libraries? If so, have you found good information there?
im not worried about the log book hehe as i know ill be able to fix it up easily =). uhmm i havent actually been to a uni libarey but my teacher said that its great to spend a day there as they have massive resources and friendly staff. but yeah im thinking on making my way up to state libarey this weekend just to cont. reading up on my sources as i get too distracted at home.

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
Ellie_Belly said:
Thankyou for replying :) I think I need to start reading books, I've only used websites so far.
I wouldn't worry about practising the past exam papers so much. What I mean is, do it if you can, but don't stress if you can't. You still have a long time before the exams to get it right, so relax.
Good luck with your Major Work :)
^_^ books = good sources, cannot really edit them yah..
thanks heaps ellie, same with you, hey do you know anything about a history extension debate this yr sometime in like may? teachers said anything?

HSC
N/A
Thread moved from General Discussion of 2006 HSC to History Extension forum :)

rach_06

HSC
Ellie_Belly said:

Well so far i have around 30 something i try to write in my log at least every 2-5 days i do this so frequently as im constantly changing my mind as to what topic/ focus area im going to do. Mostly i write about what i have done lol umm for e.g if i have read a book i will have analyzed it and also have written down the details of the book to use as a reference ........doing my references as i go etc also if i am having difficulties with a topic area and what i am finding easy, what parts of the syllabus i have covered or havent and what topic areas i have looked at and researched and also where i hope to go with them or not..........i hope it helps

Last edited:

nwatts

HSC
What pwar said is what I was going to say, but i'll add one thing - the log should show a progression of development throughout the time you've taken to write your essays. Why did you cut this bit out, why did you change your conclusion, why have you chosen this particular historical approach throughout your essay, etc. etc. Develop your ideas and your writing and document it all.

Log book is easy to get top marks in, but it's also easy to lose marks for silly mistakes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)