• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Homer Bad Man (1 Viewer)

richz

hello

Does anyone know any techniques used in this episode?

thnx

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
I remember getting this off the resources page somewhere:

“Homer: Bad man” by G. Daniels et al

• In the Simpson’s episode “Homer: Bad man”, the character Homer is wrongfully accused of sexual harassment of Ashley Grant –a feminist. Rushing to conclusions Grant rallies the support of her fellow colleagues to rally a campaign to deteriorate Homer’s name. Media, wanting in on the scandalous situation, manipulate the situation for their self-advancement –making a melodramatic reenactment, and a “24 hour live telecast of the Simpson’s estate”, making up “half truths” in their “pursuit of a scoop”.
• Daniels exposes the manipulation of the truth by those in power (media, as well as the general public) through satire (show-in-a-show, he satirizes current affairs program “Rock Bottom” that distorts an interview with Homer, after learning that the interview clears his name), and allowing the audience to see what the absolute truth is and how it has been portrayed by those (satirized) in power.
• Hyperbole, is used to further exaggerate the caricature of TV personalities, and exaggerates the media’s depiction of the ‘truth’ in a humorous way. “Tune in for today’s highlights, including…when Marge put the cat out…possible because it was sexually harassed.” The hyperbole shows the responder the satire at work and the viewer does not mistake it for just plain humor, but is able to identify satire at work, and the message incorporated.
• Grant –to further advance her prejudice of men, and spread her Misandronist perception, rushes to her own version of the truth, “There is the man that sexually harassed me!”, and in the media talk shows exploit Grant’s ‘truth’ to blame “society’s problems” on “the Homer Simpsons of this country”.
• Interviewee: ”I don’t know Homer Simpson, I have never met Homer Simpson…I’m sorry I can’t go on”
Interviewer: “It’s ok! Your tears say more than real evidence ever could.”
• These ‘truths’ portrayed by the media convince and persuade their audience to accept their version of the ‘truth’ which leads to “95% of the people believe Homer Simpson is guilty”, furthermore the media portrayal becomes so convincing that even Homer’s family start doubting his innocence as Lisa admits “It’s hard not to believe TV”. The persuasive power of the media is again shown when Homer screams “Oh, that man is sick!” even though “Groundskeeper Willy saved you Homer”, but Homer brainwashed by the compelling “vision”, shrieks “Oh, listen to the music Marge! He’s Evil”.

_blank

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm doing it too. Lol - I hope we don't end up writing the exact same things in the exam... :rolleyes:

DPW

HSC
Hmmm

Damn Eagles my trial was today. I should have looked at that before the exam........ Oh well.

DANE

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
yea.. I'd like to keep it up.. but I can't bump it everyday..

ah well, it's still good for HSC eh? and for next yrs ;)

kaylz

HSC
I used that. I thought I was being original, too...

kaylz

HSC
About how the composers give a moral barometer of sorts with their representation of two layers of truth. Satire and its techniques. The usual.

rightie

lost in suburbia hell
HSC
yea im using it with frontline and i dont know what else yet i havent got that far - my trials start tomorrow and i'm leaving it to the last minute.

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
everyone uses this episode. I'd suggest you choose another 'Simpsons' episode or something altogether different.

DPW

HSC
DigitalFortress said:
omg your name is Dane too?

we're like kindered spirits,
you me and the rest of denmark.
Hahahaha I just came back to check for some updated info on Homer Bad Man and saw that.

Go the Danes! ;)

DANE

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)