• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Honours, Masters, Graduate Diplomas (1 Viewer)

Dingo2004

2 6 C 4 U
HSC
i see lots of bachelor courses say that u can do an additional year of Honours..
is that the same as Masters???

and wat is Graduate Diplomas, and Graduate Certificates??

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Dingo2004
i see lots of bachelor courses say that u can do an additional year of Honours..
is that the same as Masters???

and wat is Graduate Diplomas, and Graduate Certificates??
Honours is an extra year added to a bachelor degree, ie
B Com (Hons)

Masters is different, its a postgraduate degree, ie a degree you do after you have already graduated, and u can do honours in the masters degree too, in some cases ie
M Com (Hons)

Graduate diplomas and certificates are like a masters (they are postgraduate courses), but they arent "degrees" since you do less subjects and complete the course in less time, hence you are less recognised...its like masters > diploma > certificate

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by santaslayer
so is this combo possible then?

BComm (Hons), MComm (Hons)/ LLB (Hons).....???
It would depend on the institution as all uni's do things differently........
But I dont know about the "double masters"?? ie would the LLB be apart of the undergrad?

eg why do they offere hons. courses to HSC students ie they havent started uni yet?? Hons *was* like a reward for hard work that you were offered in your 3/4 year (though why would you do hons is another thing IMO- they really are a waste in most degrees as it just means either staying at uni for another year or working your butt off almost doing a double degree in your last year.......its almost half of a masters degree for gawd's sake. Why not just do the masters? More recognisable and most post grads would argue it has more prestige+ it gets you more $$ (in education anyway, hons gets you squat!)

meh......thats my opinion anyway!!

Last edited:
B

Bambul

Having an Honours degree can give you more options. It is easier to get into Masters if you have done Honours, or you may be able to skip straight into a PhD (it is almost impossible to skip both Honours *and* Masters).

There are also some places where you can't get a job right out of uni unless you have done Honours (ie. you won't even be considered, even if you also done law for example). In my case I want to work for the RBA and I need to have a BEc (Hons) to apply.

And lets not forget that HECS applies to Honours but not Masters. So Honours is cheaper and you can defer. Plus it's shorter than doing Masters (1 more year tacked on the end).

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
thats why I said most degrees
Way back when, it was like a "reward" for those who maintained a certain academic standard (like you said, *some* jobs wont consider you due to the academic standard associated with the degree like law or some companies place/expect a high standard on/of their (potential employees-as per your desire/wish job).
As I said, in most degrees, it is a waste (for want of a better term) as the potential job doesnt warrant it (eg arts, nursing, psychology-did I spell that right??doesnt look right-education, welfare, in general, most humanities strands) as the job will entail further/ongoing training as a part of the job. + a masters is more recognisable in most jobs (its extra letters after all!) as it shows further study after your undergrad (as opposed to apart of your undergrad.eg in education its desirable (almost compulsory) for academic/educational leadership positions as it shows desire to extend skills ect. Hons doesnt do this as its done as apart of your undergrad)
Granted, hons does have a place in some areas but thats only because of demand and assumed prestige (IMO) therefore its a "false" assumption to force students into further study.
My masters attracted HECS so I cant comment on your HECS comment. Yes, you can defer HECS on your hons but thats because its apart of your undergrad!
Ease of getting into masters again I cant comment as post grad work in the humanities is basicly open to anyone who wants to do (and can pay!). Havent heard of anyone skipping a msters straight into a phd based on their honours either (not to say it doesnt happen but again it would be institution based surely+ their hons must have been pure research over the equivalent time of a masters to qualify surely??-this is based on that PHD are $$ and prestige for most unis....)
I dont know....I based my comments on my experience and research but as I said, it does vary from institution to institution as they all do things differently
my 2 cents worth.............

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)