how u do study efficiently 4 chem?
do u do revision questions?
or
do u remise everyfing in da textbk??

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
This was my (rather successful) strategy for Yr 11.:

- Do dot points and review excersises when done in class (actually, stay ahead a bit so its kinda revision)
- when exams come, read dot points again (twice) and text book, and ANOTHER text book if you can get your hands on them.
- look at practise papers

Easy as 1, 2, 3 ...

Ac :)

CraZiEeE

well...my school teacher juss recommended
"chemistry context" for theory work, and sum other book for practice questions

kini mini

HSC
My recommendation is Thickett (Macmillan) "Chemistry Pathways", Success One, Chem Contexts (Longman). Conquering is crap IMO.

Anyway I'm all done so it's the year of 2003 in the hotseat now :D

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
yeah, i agree with kini mini. But I didn't like chem pathways as much as Contexts.

Contexts is very wordy, so complement it with good summaries. You can't do well if you buy summaries, you have to synthesise the information yourself.

Excel is yicky.

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by Weisy
yeah, i agree with kini mini. But I didn't like chem pathways as much as Contexts.

Contexts is very wordy, so complement it with good summaries. You can't do well if you buy summaries, you have to synthesise the information yourself.

Excel is yicky.
I agree, you def have to make your own summaries, it's the process that engraves the info on your brain :D.

Forgot Excel...if yicky means what I think it does I agree, useless. Wasted my money.

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
hmmm

conquering chem seemed to do the job for me, except it does have lotsa extra info you don't need and aren't tested on. also, the questions are crummy, esp the end of chapter ones... basically "write down everything you know about everything"...

the excel was also pretty useless, if you somehow feel the need to use it, save yourself the $20 or whatever i paid for it, and borrow it from your school or local library.

come to think of it, i think i learnt the most from my own research and photocopied handouts... it seems i've turned on CCHSC within the space of one post. :rolleyes:

(oh, and how to study? i made summaries at first, from my notes and textbooks, but in the end i thought doing past papers was the best revision for exams. same style of questions etc.)

Last edited:

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Yeah conq. chem all the way....... but it does lack few dot points which is up to you to cover. Also practise exam questions regularly!!!!!! and this is where answering the syllabus points comes in. Also don't forget to understand the concepts thoroughly. BY the way, forget doing the questions in the text books coz most of them are not even CLOSE to the hsc so i recommend you to buy a book like success one.

skool_angel

thanz 4 da replies
i have the success one textbk at home its okay
my teacher recommended us to use surfing chemistry
do u think its good?

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
surfing books are alright and they are a sort of summary of ya main textbooks, also they are good since they have lots hsc style questions and thats what i used them for. besides that, 99% content it has u can prob. find in t.books

kini mini

HSC
I never used surfing for chem, I had enough stuff with old trials, photocopied NEAP stuff, Success One and Pathways. It's decent enough I think, flipped thru my mate's copy once.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
yeah i used a surfing book for my option shipwrecks coz it had the pracs in it and we didn't do all of the pracs in my school. but onething i have to say is that every question is like exactly the same and you literally get tired of the questions... so trials, success one etc. would be more useful i guess.

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
Originally posted by kini mini

I agree, you def have to make your own summaries, it's the process that engraves the info on your brain :D.

Forgot Excel...if yicky means what I think it does I agree, useless. Wasted my money.
i agree man!! excel is CRAP:mad:

Twintip

Yeah Conquering is crap. I think Contexts is the best - it's the most relevant to the syllabus anyway IMO.

Just make detailed notes on each dot point, don't get lazy with any explanations and include relevant chemical equations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)