How are standing waves and progressive waves similar? (1 Viewer)

Dubuu

HSC
Just a quick question, How are standing waves and progressive waves similar?

Plenty of places saying how the are different but couldn't find anything on how they are similar, if they even can be.

I think I have a general idea on how they are similar but I just wanted to ask.

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
Tr
Just a quick question, How are standing waves and progressive waves similar?

Plenty of places saying how the are different but couldn't find anything on how they are similar, if they even can be.

I think I have a general idea on how they are similar but I just wanted to ask.
All waves have amplitude, wavelength and frequency so one should be able to say that they are similar in this respect.

Arguably they also all have velocity but with the standing wave, because the component incident and reflected waves are in opposite directions, there seems to be a lot of discussion as to whether the resultant ‘standing’ wave should be regarded as having no velocity. For calculation of string harmonics, velocity is taken as that of the incident wave.

Dubuu

HSC
Tr

All waves have amplitude, wavelength and frequency so one should be able to say that they are similar in this respect.

Arguably they also all have velocity but with the standing wave, because the component incident and reflected waves are in opposite directions, there seems to be a lot of discussion as to whether the resultant ‘standing’ wave should be regarded as having no velocity. For calculation of string harmonics, velocity is taken as that of the incident wave.
Lmao was thinking too deep into it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)