How are these marks so far/where and how should I improve? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Original Poster said:
So far, these have been my marks for Year 12. I am a little worried about my Maths score, but I am happy with my rank. Is the rank more important and will that score drastically impact my ATAR? Our school is notoriously known for having hard maths exams and a faculty which marks very harshly.

How should I go about improving these? Anyone have any Maths schedules to practice HSC questions? Other than that, how is my performance so far?
around what rank is ur school

also a 48% rank 2??? what the hell, thats gotta be one of the craziest ive ever seen

idkkdi

HSC
Original Poster said:
So far, these have been my marks for Year 12. I am a little worried about my Maths score, but I am happy with my rank. Is the rank more important and will that score drastically impact my ATAR? Our school is notoriously known for having hard maths exams and a faculty which marks very harshly.

How should I go about improving these? Anyone have any Maths schedules to practice HSC questions? Other than that, how is my performance so far?
just do cambridge lol

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Your performance appears to be of a high standard across your subjects. There is a visible improvement in English Advanced considering the higher (and excellent) rank achieved in your second task. The same seems to be the case of Legal Studies, as seen with the rank improvement, which is always a good thing. Although you dropped to being ranked second in your second task for Physics and Multimedia, your performance is definitely consistent and remains of a high standard. Your performance in Physics is also optimal, especially given the fact that you are currently ranked first.

Regarding Mathematics Advanced, while the mark itself may be unfavourable, this can be attributed to the difficult exams and strict marking at your school as you mentioned. This likely indicates that the difficulty/marking standards at your school exceed that of the HSC exam, which may be a good thing.

To answer your question, a student's rank in a particular subject is one of two essential elements that are used to determine the Assessment Mark, which is the mark that reflects a student's internal performance and contributes 50% of their HSC mark (final mark) in that subject, the other being the Examination Mark. Based on this, the only way to maximise your rank is by performing to the best of your abilities in your school-based assessment tasks/exams. The actual marks that you receive for those tasks (in this case, 48%) have no effect beyond being used to determine your rank in Mathematics Advanced or your other subjects.

Of course, improvement requires that you thoroughly revise and ensure that you have a good understanding of important concepts/content and subsequently assess your ability to apply those by completing practice material, such as past exam papers and, as mentioned above, difficult textbook questions. You may be able to determine areas of improvement as you do this, in addition to concepts that you may not fully understand. In such a case, it is important to request clarification from your teacher and ensure that you continue to apply your knowledge to practice material.

I hope this helps! :D

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Original Poster said:
Thanks. This is an excellent insight. So, the only purpose of an internal assessment mark is to determine your rank, which is then used during scaling? So like, whilst the score is not favourable, it works at the end of the day because I ranked 2nd. However, this still says that I need to improve so I can take advantage of this scaling by doing well in the final HSC exam.
No worries.

Yes, as part of the moderation process, your final rank in a particular subject is used alongside Examination Marks (i.e. marks received on the HSC exam of a particular subject) of other students in your cohort in determining your Assessment Mark.

Essentially, the highest Assessment Mark is adjusted to equal the highest Examination Mark of any student in your cohort. This means that the student with the highest rank will receive the highest Examination Mark achieved by any student in their cohort as their Assessment Mark. Similarly, the lowest Assessment Mark is adjusted to equal the lowest Examination Mark of any student in your cohort, meaning that the student with the lowest rank will receive the lowest Examination Mark achieved by any student in their cohort as their Assessment Mark. In the case of other ranks, the Assessment Mark will not equal its equivalent Examination Mark. However, it will be similar. Consider the following example from NESA:

Example table

As you can see, the highest Assessment Mark was adjusted to equal the highest Examination Mark (92). The lowest Assessment Mark was also adjusted to equal the lowest Examination Mark (50). However, the Assessment Mark for the student ranked third (74) is not identical to the third-highest Examination Mark (72), although it is similar.

Improvement is always welcome, so you are definitely right to identify that enhancing your performance as you progress through the rest of year 12 will ultimately reflect in your HSC exam performance.

jks22

HSC
No worries.

Yes, as part of the moderation process, your final rank in a particular subject is used alongside Examination Marks (i.e. marks received on the HSC exam of a particular subject) of other students in your cohort in determining your Assessment Mark.

Essentially, the highest Assessment Mark is adjusted to equal the highest Examination Mark of any student in your cohort. This means that the student with the highest rank will receive the highest Examination Mark achieved by any student in their cohort as their Assessment Mark. Similarly, the lowest Assessment Mark is adjusted to equal the lowest Examination Mark of any student in your cohort, meaning that the student with the lowest rank will receive the lowest Examination Mark achieved by any student in their cohort as their Assessment Mark. In the case of other ranks, the Assessment Mark will not equal its equivalent Examination Mark. However, it will be similar. Consider the following example from NESA:

Example table

As you can see, the highest Assessment Mark was adjusted to equal the highest Examination Mark (92). The lowest Assessment Mark was also adjusted to equal the lowest Examination Mark (50). However, the Assessment Mark for the student ranked third (74) is not identical to the third-highest Examination Mark (72), although it is similar.

Improvement is always welcome, so you are definitely right to identify that enhancing your performance as you progress through the rest of year 12 will ultimately reflect in your HSC exam performance.
Quick question: does the school you go to affect moderation or anything in the calculation of your ATAR?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Quick question: does the school you go to affect moderation or anything in the calculation of your ATAR?
No, the only factor that is affected by a school is the quality of its cohort, which is reflected in HSC exam performance. For example, the cohort of a highly ranked selective school is likely to be superior to that of a lower-ranked comprehensive school given a higher academic ability overall.

The moderation process aims to ensure that students across the state are compared in a fair manner, which is the reason that it uses Examination Marks alongside the ranks of students in their respective subjects - because the HSC exam is the only assessable component that is completed by all students, irrespective of their school, and is marked in exactly the same way.

HSC
Yes, as jimmy demonstrated above, the external marks of your cohort are used to determine your internal marks based upon your internal rank. So the better your cohort the better your internal marks will be

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Original Poster said:
If maths turns out to be my worst unit by the end of the year, will it go towards my ATAR? I recall only 10 units going towards the ATAR.
You are correct, your best 2 units of English in addition to your best 8 units in other subjects (leading to a total of 10 units) will count towards your ATAR. Based on this, in the event that Mathematics Advanced ends up being your worst-performing subject, it will not count towards your ATAR.

idkkdi

HSC
Original Poster said:
Teacher doesn't allow it. And besides, Cambridge has a mix of over 3 topics from MIF for 1 topic, so it's rather difficult.
why do you care about what your teacher does. do extra if you're bothered doing mif homework.

jks22

HSC
No, the only factor that is affected by a school is the quality of its cohort, which is reflected in HSC exam performance. For example, the cohort of a highly ranked selective school is likely to be superior to that of a lower-ranked comprehensive school given a higher academic ability overall.

The moderation process aims to ensure that students across the state are compared in a fair manner, which is the reason that it uses Examination Marks alongside the ranks of students in their respective subjects - because the HSC exam is the only assessable component that is completed by all students, irrespective of their school, and is marked in exactly the same way.
Thanks for the reply :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)