• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How big is the workload? (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I only have 14 hours a week. Nearly full days mon-wed. Then a two hour day thursday. In second semester I will only have a 3 day week mon-wed. So i was wondering, how much the workload is.
I originally wanted to get extra units for my first year but was advised against it saying that it would be a lot of work. Not sure how that would be so with such a loose timetable.
So, are there a lot of set assignments, readings etc?
Will they keep me busy all week?
Should I in fact take up an extra unit of study.

Cheers

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
What course are you doing?

Yeah, don't be fooled by the contact hours. The recommended study time for each of my subjects is about 10 hours (3 hours of class, 7 hours of doing homework, study, assignments). So in degrees with little contact hours, there could be a lot of set reading and assignment work to do

Generator

HSC
N/A
Name the uni, the units, etc. and then we may be able to help (or just ask those in the USyd forum). However, fewer contact hours generally implies a greater level of independent learning/study/research than one would have within a degree with more time spent in class. Many people may dispute that, but just treat it as a general rule.

Edit: I started to create my post before Minai had replied... Sorry about the repetition.

Last edited:

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Yup don't be fooled by the contact hours. Wait until the mid-semester exams and assignments come around all at the same time, then you'll have your hours, haha.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I'm at sydney uni doing bach of eco and soc sci.
UOS:
-Marketing principles
-Econometrics: statistics A
-Political economy: economics as a social science
-Industrial relations intro

iamsickofyear12

HSC
At UOW the policy is 2 hours per credit point, and most subjects are 6 credit points.

It depends on how smart you are though. I certainly won't be doing 6+ hours a week per subject of independent study. I will be able to get away with only a couple extra hours per subject a week, excluding time doing assessments, and I will study the week before the exams.

But then again, I am doing subjects that I pretty much covered last year in the HSC, so I have a bit of an advantage.

LazyBoy

HSC
you cant get extra credits in your first year. the most you can do is 48 at USYD. So unless your not a full time student (i.e. your doing less then 48 cp) then you cant consider picking up extra ones.

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
LazyBoy said:
you cant get extra credits in your first year. the most you can do is 48 at USYD. So unless your not a full time student (i.e. your doing less then 48 cp) then you cant consider picking up extra ones.
I'm pretty sure that you can with permission. It's up to 60 from memory. I've seen a number of people on this forum doing 6 subjects in the first semester.

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
my workload is fucking huge.. cuase im going on prac in the first 2 weeks of the next school term,.. so everything has to be squashed in before that happens.... hmmm.. no easter break for me!

LazyBoy

HSC
and they are probably doing two in the second. You probably can get special permission but i think they rarely do it.

LazyBoy

HSC
1Time4thePpl said:
on prac? what do u mean
shes doing teaching, in many universities i know ACU is one, they place on your two weeks work placement each year. where they put you in a classroom to observe, and in later years teach.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
No, they are doing 6 in the first. Then 4 in the second.
It's not very rare that they allow you to do it. Just write a letter and youre most likely accepted. As long as it says something along the lines of "i have a lot of time and dedication"

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
natstar said:
I think its insane to do 6 units a semester.
If you're gifted and talented, by all means. I know people that overload Actuarial Studies at my uni, but they are guns.
It's comparable to the HSC, where most of the students attaining 100 UAI's do over 15 units.

I guess the smarter and hard working you are, the more you can handle

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)