• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

how can i improve ? (1 Viewer)

4lulai

HSC
Im currently striving for a high 80s-low/mid 90s ATAR and obvs its gonna be a challenge.

Currently my marks are:

English standard - 24/30 (the avrg mark was 16 & im currently 4th ranked so ig the assessment was pretty hard - still can improve tho)
maths standard - 20/30 (maths is by far my worst performing subject)
Business studies - 17/20
Society & culture - 22/25
biology - 47/55 (avrg was 27 if i remember correctly so im not too mad)
SOR 1 - 16/20
Exploring early childhood - 15/20 (i could not care less about this subject as im not doing it in year 12 anyway)

i wanna improve my marks by the time i start year 12 in order to be able to achieve that high 80s/lowish 90s ATAR. My question is, is that achievable with these kinds of marks next year? how much do i have to improve and how can i improve? (esp in english and maths as maths has always been my worst subject and i always feel like my written expression has room for improvement)

I ALWAYS find that im 1 mark off from getting an A/highest mark so maybe im not comprehending the rubric properly. Anyone in this situation have any tips to getting that extra mark/breaking down the rubric properly and thoroughly?

be as blunt as possible idm : )

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
While more information would be useful in providing a more accurate observation of your current performance, your results and the performance of your cohort would indicate that you would not be far from achieving your ATAR goal if you were to perform at the same standard in year 12. With that being said, improvement is likely necessary to maximise your chances of reaching your desired ATAR, and it is good that you already understand this.

The first thing to do would be to identify areas of improvement based on your performance in your assessment tasks/exams so far. For example, losing 10 marks in your Mathematics Standard task indicates that there are areas/concepts that you are not confident with (i.e. you may not fully understand) and/or your preparations have been insufficient. In such a case, you should revisit relevant concepts to gain a thorough understanding of them and ensure that you ask for clarification when needed. Subsequently, you can complete a substantial amount of practice material targeting those concepts (such as textbook questions and past exam papers) to verify whether you improved.

Improving in English Standard follows a similar approach in that you must start by identifying areas where improvement is needed. Here, you should consider any feedback that you were provided with regarding your task (i.e. how you lost six marks). If the feedback is vague/insufficient, perhaps you could have a conversation with your teacher, who can further clarify your mistakes. Regularly seeking feedback on your writing is also an important way through which you can improve your performance. Based on this, you should attempt numerous practice questions (both unseen text questions and essay questions) and ask your teacher for feedback. Specifically, this can enable you to:
  • Improve your analytical ability
  • Improve your interpretation and use of various techniques and quotes in your analysis
  • Improve your understanding of the rubric
  • Improve the overall flow and quality of your writing.
I hope this helps! 😄

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)