How can the truth be represented (2 Viewers)

allstarr69

hi ive got a frontline question
Write a feature article that will make people more aware of both, how truth can be represented and, why truth is dependant on who is 'telling the truth'

firstly i dont know what markers look for in a feature article and also, how can truth be represented?

Paroissien

HSC
Hah. That is my trial question, and it was sadly my worst english question. I focused almost entirely in 'why truth is dependant...' so I guess that is where I went wrong.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
well, some techniques in a feature article include: emotice language, catchy title, wit (puns are very common), short sentences, short paragraphs and tone and language appropriate to the audience of your article. 'How truth can be represented' is what youve been learning about during the whole module dude...how is the truth manipulated, why is it manipulated, how do people make themselves seem more believable, what is the nature of truth etc.

Paroissien

HSC
Heh I suppose it is. Still, I can't really think of a way to put it into words.

allstarr69

so... in answering "how can the truth be represented?" why would you start discussing how the truth can be manipulated? I dont se the connection and that probably because I slept though most of my english lessons lol. I really dont understand EXACLY what the question is implying.. can you go a bit further?
thanks

Paroissien

HSC
Briefly the 'truth' can be represented in different ways according to the wishes of those who control the truth, such as the government.
An example of hos 'truth' can be represented is 'Add Sex and Stir' where they completed manipulated the truth in order to boost their ratings. Hence what gets presented as truth is dependent of who is telling the truth; in this case the Frontline team

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
yes, if truth can be manipulated than it can obviously be represented in different ways. btw, i didn't list it first coz i thought u should talk bout it first - it was just the first thing that popped itno my head.
break down the question to work out what it is asking you - ie. what will you need to talk about? in this case some things you will need to address are:
*what is truth/the nature of truth?
*establish that truth can be represented in different ways
*how do people manipulate the truth in different media
*why do people manipulate the truth (this will lead you into why the representation of truth depends on wo is telling it) - ie. think frontline and the bank story in smaller fish to fry. the station owner's dont want the story to air because it involves a lot of media moguls and puts them in a bad light. they do want them to do a telstra story as they are their financial backers: which do they choose and why do they choose it?

mizz_smee

has a fetish 4 handcuffs
HSC
Allstarrr said:
because I slept though most of my english lessons lol.
WOW... same
my teacher put shit on me
and even asked my parents why i was so tired in class
then i got the highest mark twice
and that shut him up!
let me sleep all i wanted after that really
little did he know that he was just a shit teacher
and i got a tutor!

anyways... this was my question in the trials too
but i didn't do overly good
so i leave it to people who might actually know
what they are talking about

allstarr69

mizz_smee said:
WOW... same
my teacher put shit on me
and even asked my parents why i was so tired in class
then i got the highest mark twice
and that shut him up!
let me sleep all i wanted after that really
little did he know that he was just a shit teacher
and i got a tutor!

anyways... this was my question in the trials too
but i didn't do overly good
so i leave it to people who might actually know
what they are talking about
hehe i can almost relate to you... except i went shit in my exams to so i couldnt say "bad teacher!!" My English marks seem from 60% to 100%. The worst part of it is I dont know the reasons as to why i went bad or good.

I think I sort of get the idea now... thanks heaps for the help guys!

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
no probs - i had a shit teacher too - actually, she wasn't too bad until she went on holidays and decided she didnt want 2 come back so just quit! lol. then we got this sub who can't spell, can hardly write and doesn't know shit about anything...ah well, luck of the draw i guess. anyway, glad if any of that helped dude.

mizz_smee

has a fetish 4 handcuffs
HSC
at half yearly stage afte 50% of our assesment marks had been figures out
i was 91/138... that was without a tutor
and then at the end now i am 32/138
with an exam rank of 16/138
i got a tutor straight after half yearlys
imagine if i had him all year?
that is how shit my teacher was

em_516

bludging..
HSC
silvermoon said:
no probs - i had a shit teacher too - actually, she wasn't too bad until she went on holidays and decided she didnt want 2 come back so just quit! lol. then we got this sub who can't spell, can hardly write and doesn't know shit about anything...ah well, luck of the draw i guess. anyway, glad if any of that helped dude.
similar situation..in year 11 i had a really good teacher..i hated her..but i was actually getting decent marks as opposed to all other years..then she decided to go on holidays for a month when we would be in year 12 so our class got split in half (it was originally small) and i got stuck with a shit teacher for a whole year! i would have been happier with my original teacher and then being stuck with the shit one for the 4 weeks..agh! my rank was so bad after i went to the other teacher..but it's sorta fixed now lol!

MentalByNature

Beecroft, Sydney (where the most exciting thing yo
you can't really blame your teacheers guys
I've had more than my fair share of shit teachers over the years, so all you can really do is do the work, revise, and talk to other people in other classes, get some of their work
you guys are using teachers as excuses not to work, when w bit of extra effort more than gets you there.

now don't go thinking, yeahm this guys naturally smart, nerd etc. I havent got a top 30 rank in anything, ever (except when there was 9 people in the course, but i still only came 7th). Im just a kid who keeps upo through a bit of extra work

mizz_smee

has a fetish 4 handcuffs
HSC
i don't completly agree with that statement
and i don't blame my teacher entirely
but do u know what i learnt about frontline from my teacher?
i learnt how to watch the video
because we only did it for 2 weeks
and we watched each episode twice
then after the trails we watched the simpsons
to use as related material
and just before the exam he gave a list of who manipulates the truth
which i consider to be all that wrong
because Jan the pr lady is not the person under brian
i think emma does more then her
anyway off track a bit now!
everything i know about telling the truth i learnt myself
or my tutor helped me
at least i passed it which is more then the rest of my class
over half of them got less then 4 for frontline in the exam.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)