• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How did everyone go for their Proposal? (3 Viewers)

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
Was everyone happy with their proposals? I know the '04ers' were stressing out (I was too!) We had the lovely '03ers' helping us, and we thank you very much for that!

So guys...post your marks! Did your teacher like it? Hate it?

I was so happy with mine! Not to boast or anything, but I got 47/50, which was the top in my class of 9. It took me forever to do, and i was so stressed out about it, but nonetheless, I am ecstatic!

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
15/20 which wasn't too bad considering it was a speech (which i destest) 2nd in our class of 6 so i'm pretty happy with that.

Talk about stressful though :)

Thanks 03's for all ur help!! :D

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Just a tip: try and kill your internals and get ranked first cos let me tell you, if someone in your class writes a kickass major work, you get the marks....take it from someone who has reaped the benefits ;)

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
HSC
Originally posted by GuardiaN
uh? You sure ms 12? Can someone please confirm what Ms 12 said? Cause as far as i know, your internals are a mark on the PROCESS of composition, and the external is a mark, INDIVIDUAL MARK, on the quality of your piece. What Ms 12 is saying applies to every other subject, not however for extension 2 english.

Apart from that, i got 10/10 in my proposal. :D

I think it does apply for ext. 2, so yes I think Ms 12 is right.

MissSavage29, it was soooo stressful! That's so weird that you guys did it in the form of a speech. We just had to hand ours in, which took a heap load of the pressure off!

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
uh? You sure ms 12? Can someone please confirm what Ms 12 said? Cause as far as i know, your internals are a mark on the PROCESS of composition, and the external is a mark, INDIVIDUAL MARK, on the quality of your piece. What Ms 12 is saying applies to every other subject, not however for extension 2 english.
Umm darling, I just did it, I think I know what Im talking about. Internal assessment in this course works just like it does in every other course. It is used only to determine rankings and the relative difference between everyone in your class. When in come to marks, you get YOUR mark for the major work as an exam mark, and the mark of whoever came first as your assessment mark (that is, if you came first).

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
HSC
Originally posted by Ms 12
Umm darling, I just did it, I think I know what Im talking about. Internal assessment in this course works just like it does in every other course. It is used only to determine rankings and the relative difference between everyone in your class. When in come to marks, you get YOUR mark for the major work as an exam mark, and the mark of whoever came first as your assessment mark (that is, if you came first).
She does know what she's talking about!!

Trigger189

XYLENE-FREE ZONE
HSC
Sadly, I only got 9/10 ... I lacked a 'definate personal purpose' or something like that. I came second. But its no big deal, I'll make up for it. :p

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
Originally posted by grk_styl
MissSavage29, it was soooo stressful! That's so weird that you guys did it in the form of a speech. We just had to hand ours in, which took a heap load of the pressure off!
yeah we had to hand in a written report to - which my teachers told me was really good and answered the criteria perfectly but unfortinatly we were not marked on that. I dont think i know of any other schools that requires a speech for it.

mmm i'm looking forward to the viva voca, we watched last years do it and it looks like fun... especially if u like ur work :D

KarmaKitten

HSC
Originally posted by MissSavage29

mmm i'm looking forward to the viva voca, we watched last years do it and it looks like fun... especially if u like ur work :D
were they speeches? presentations?

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
HSC
Originally posted by MissSavage29
Yeh I agree! The girls we watched had no idea what they were talking about!

Originally posted by Serpentia
awwwww I haven't gotten my mark back

Stingy teachers!
Teachers are so crap at handing things back! When i become a teacher, I'm going to make sure the kids get there stuff back asap. They are so lazy!

Originally posted by KarmaKitten
Ours are an interview. On the panel there is the teacher, the eng co-ordinater, and the vice principal. They ask you all these questions, and you have to answer them...it looks like so much fun, but I'm sure I'll be shitting myself!

KarmaKitten

HSC
Hmm sounds alright, as long as you know your topic well, and can explain yourself clearly.
We've done a number of interviews anyways, and they were okay

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
Originally posted by KarmaKitten
um more so an interview in the class room, we (the yr 11s) were up the back, and the teachers in front of us and the girls sat at the front and had there journals with them and their work drafts etc and they had questions and just had to answer them,.

It was pretty laid back actually - i think they were more nervous about us being their rather then the fact it was an assesment.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
For a start, stop calling it the internal and external marks. There is no such thing, they are all external. We talk in terms of exam mark and assessment mark.

Ok, here is an example to illustrate:

I am in a class of 2. After all of our in-school assessments have been completed, we have been ranked and I have come first by 5 marks. It doesn't matter what that mark was, all that matters is that the difference between first and second was 5 marks. However, Sally, who came second, wrote an amazing major work, and when it comes to marking at the marking centre, she gets 50/50. I get 45/50 for my not so great major work.
Now, everyone keeps their own exam mark. So for my exam mark, I get 45. Sally gets 50. But now heres the tricky part that you don't seem to grasp.
For my ASSESSMENT mark, I get 50, which was the top mark in the class (and therefore becomes the top person's assessment mark). Sally gets 45 as an assessment mark because she has to have 5 marks less (as per the relatice difference determined by the internal assessments).

So, whereas Sally would have gotten a HSC mark (that is, the combination of exam and assessment marks) of 50 had she come first, she actually gets a mark of 48 (47.5 rounded up). That sucks for Sally, but is COOL for me cos whereas I could have gotten a HSC mark of 45, I got 48, cos Sally's excellent mark has helped me.

The internal assessment scheme is devised to reward students for consistent work throughout the year, not just cramming at exam time. And this is an example of this at work. I hope you can understand now.

EDIT: And of course I know who James is!

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
ooo k! right. :)

I get it now. Sorry

Once again, I didnt mean it as a personal attack on anyone, just trying to understand. hehe, if i don't ask stoopid questions now and learn, i'll remain ignorant forever, right? :)

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
HSC
ooo k! right. :)

I get it now. Sorry

Once again, I didnt mean it as a personal attack on anyone, just trying to understand. hehe, if i don't ask stoopid questions now and learn, i'll remain ignorant forever, right? :)
It is really hard to understand! It took me forever to work out how they do it, why they do it, etc. It can really suck for people (such as 'Sally'), but it can be helpful for people (such as Ms 12)!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)