how did u study for it (1 Viewer)

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
hey i wanna know how did you study for ya hsc right up to the exams...... also waht text books and past paper books should i buy?? my school is giving me coroneus.

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
I've got a blue book, which is currently still lent out to a friend I think... have to check... you'll prob need help from the school to buy those, or contact BoS directly or something, I forgot..
You really should get most/all the formulas and methods down long before (that is, you know how to do them). This way you can focus on consistency just before the exams. That'll work for all the simpler questions.

For maximising marks, analyse :)p) the hard questions and answers from past papers and figure out how they went about interpreting the question, leave the recent ones for real tests. Ask if you run into trouble.

We had Arnold as our textbook... not swell. Teacher was better. :p

marsesbars

1. Enjoy maths, I mean how can anybody not :) There's a real joy in solving problems (or at least a grim satisfaction after you've waded through algebra), and if you enjoy four unit, it all becomes easy.

2. Do past HSC papers - LOTS! I'd do past HSC papers before I do other school's trial papers... they're more relevant. Memorise the methods most of all. I found they sometimes recycle old questions from past HSC exams and put them in the final exam. Well, at least sometimes the methods you need to solve them, are similar. That's probably the best way to study: learning lots of new methods!

3. Search for posts by "Spice Girl" in the maths forums here. She's got some really elegant solutions to problems (like using reflections and symmetry to solve circle geometry...)

4. Practice. It hurts, but 'eh', I thought I understood a lot but in the final exam my lack of practice really killed me... I made so many silly mistakes I wanted to shoot myself. You especially need practice to perform under exam conditions *shudder*. The more you've practiced, the more likely you'll be able to solve those question 8 problems too.

And understand the theory, the basic concepts behind everything and build your own proofs from there... understanding = good.

Understand the theory
Practice
Memorise clever methods

and you'll be set

Last edited:

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
hey is it better to start jumping into hsc papers now and do the questions you know or do all the past hsc papers in EXAM conditions after i have finished the course??

spice girl

magic mirror
Do the HSC questions BY TOPIC as you study each of them. Umm...usually there are full questions and there are half questions (full questions are like 15 mark ones, half questions are like 4a) or 7b) ). Aim to do the full questions in no less than 20 minutes, and the half questions in no less than 10.

Push yourself to do them fast.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by freaking_out
hey is it better to start jumping into hsc papers now and do the questions you know or do all the past hsc papers in EXAM conditions after i have finished the course??
I agree with Spice girl :D but don't waste all of the questions TOO EARLY .... Make sure you have some left to do at the end (but i'm sure you will ...)

marsesbars

And if you see difficult problems, don't say to yourself "No way I'm doing that!". Treat it as a challenge and have a good stab at them... I guess the main thing is to "trust your intuition" or gut feeling, especially in exams.

The most annoying thing, I find, is to come out of an exam and know that you could have done a problem if only you'd trusted your intuition and gone a few steps further.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
the book i was issued from my school was coroneus, but i just had a look at 4u maths by terry lee and it looks like such a wonderful book- its got everything plus worked solutions!!!!!!!!

I was wondering why you guys thought of this book and wether i should get terry lee or the arnold one?

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
the book i was issued from my school was coroneus, but i just had a look at 4u maths by terry lee and it looks like such a wonderful book- its got everything plus worked solutions!!!!!!!!

I was wondering why you guys thought of this book and wether i should get terry lee or the arnold one?
Where did you get the terry lee?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
how did i study for it...
opened a textbook with the easiest type of the problems (such as fitz for complex numbers), do most of them, then get a harder one and do a few of them - the harder problems and then go for hsc one ...

most importantly work consistently coz you cannot cram ext2 maths

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
why does it matter where????? it was my friends copy from his school.
I ment more along the lines of where did you buy it

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by enak

I ment more along the lines of where did you buy it
im not advertising or anything, but just go to you local bookstore or dymocks (or however you spell it), they usually have them

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by flyin'

im not advertising or anything, but just go to you local bookstore or dymocks (or however you spell it), they usually have them
Ive been to a few bookstores, but they dont have it :|

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by enak

Ive been to a few bookstores, but they dont have it :|
i dun know about this ... but try the internet and see if there are any book stores ... or better still get them of older friends who did ext2 maths ...

if you are really desparate, i recommend you go to the dymocks in the city, im pretty sure they have quite a few types of ext2 maths textbooks

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
hey i bought the book from the dymmocks in the city....just make sure you phone ''em and make them hold onto it for you under your name
the one in the city is huge ... when i went there last year most of the books were there ... even obscure one's like t.lee ... however im not sure if thats the case now ...

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
co op bookshop is the best place (www.co-opbookshop.com.au)
well it has every book
u get discount if ur a student

and an even greater discoutn for being a member

save 20% off rrp

well i get to buy books 20% off i got connections with students who are members there

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)