• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How do i state rank chem? (1 Viewer)

ragingcurry

HSC
Can someone who has state ranked chemistry before, give me some helpful advice on how to state rank it. And is anyone willing to give me free state rank notes, pls. And how do I write perfect band 6 answers.

helloimyellow

HSC
This is a copy-paste of some tips I gave my cohort before the HSC exam this year. My advice is to just study regularly, make syllabus notes every day after you learn the content in class/tutoring so you don't have to make them before hand. Start past-papers early (before half yearlies ideally), especially HSC ones as my school loved to throw in HSC questions. Good luck!

LAST MINUTE TIPS

Calculations

- Always write out a balanced equation with states if there is a reaction taking place.
- Find the moles of everything, use limiting reagents if need be and use stoichiometry to determine what you want to find.
- Sig figs use the least in the question. If multipart, write a couple more decimal places in your second last line then round in your final line.

EXAM TECHNIQUE

- Use subheadings, try to avoid massive slabs of text and paragraphs. The marker will be able to easily see which parts of the criteria you addressed and give you marks easily. They will mark lots of papers so make it easy for them!!
- Again chuck in equations, statistics, diagrams, data (e.g safety limits for heavy metal concentrations) where appropriate.
- Look at the marks, and try to mentally make up a quick marking criteria (as in, where would they allocate the marks in this question?)

READING TIME

- This is what I like to do, might not work for everybody.
- Spend 2-3 minutes flicking through paper, reading the long answers especially and form a mental plan of what I want to write. Allows me to see what I have to know and what I don't (what info I can let go because its not in the exam)
- Spend the rest mentally going through the first 5ish questions of MC.
- PLEASE READ THE QUESTION CAREFULLY (for example, isomer multiple choice in JR trial paper which H posted is tricky).

ASSESS/EVALUATE

- Brief general statement/intro to what the question is asking (optional)
- Include a criteria for evaluate
- Evidence and for/against.
- Provide an assessment/evaluation at the end

DISCUSS

- Brief general statement/intro to what the question is asking (optional)
- For/Against

EDIT

- X and Y brought up that we should underline key points to make them stand out.
- Z mentioned that in compare questions we should describe similarities and differences. Tables are likely preferred.

Last edited:

ragingcurry

HSC
Thanks man,
uh do you still have your chem notes, I could really use them as a guide for writing my own notes

ragingcurry

HSC
Another quick question: How do you know if you're notes are good or not and how do I remember all the things I write.

helloimyellow

HSC
See my sig for notes. You can tell if notes are good by checking them with other sources (e.g. reputable websites, textbooks, teachers, high achieving members of your cohort, tutors, etc).

The best way for me to remember the content was to constantly apply the knowledge through open-book past papers. Over time, I guess I began to store this information in my 'long term' memory so I didn't have to study too much before the exam as you already understand and know it. This method might work for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)