• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How do u apply for a tax return (1 Viewer)

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
i got that booklet from a newsagency, and i got some paper from work. what do i do , fill out the booklet and send? is that it

its got alot of wierd questions i dont know

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
You've gotta know them to do your tax return. Read the big booklet printed on the cheap paper (at least you know they're being thrifty with your tax money!) labelled "Tax Pack". It's pretty simple if you've never done it before. Write in how much you've been paid, how much you paid in tax...

If there's a prob, in some shopping centres (I.e Hornsby) there are ATO people who will help you out... or you could call them up and they'd explain/answer your questions....

kalli

HSC
i suggest downloading e-tax 05 and completing that...

pretty tricky language but my theory is if i dont understand what it is asking then i say no! :p

HSC
It's not too complicated :)
Just get your group certificate (I'm assuming this is the piece of paper you received from work) and make sure you understand where certain amounts of money went and why, eg. laundry etc.
then read the attached information which came with your taxpack and go for it. Now the second copy of the tax return application is (according to my dad) a 'spare copy' or for you to use as your own personal records of your activity with the ATO.
Remember though, try to be thorough because you don't want to have to do it again if they find complications with your records etc.

enjoy :) you'll be glad and proud when you receive your tax return ;)...even if it's just $22 *sniff sniff*

HSC
I've got a question. Is this "Total Resident Withholding Tax Paid Financial Year to Date" on my ING statement claimable? Or have i just lost $141.72 to this mysterious 'Res Witholding Tax' who demands money at the end of every month?

If it is claimable, HOW do i claim it? Do i need a certificate of any sort?
I downloaded the e-tax softwafe, but i'm too scared to use it, because it tells you to have ALL your stuff ready before you start.

G

Gavvvvvin

whiterabbit said:
because it tells you to have ALL your stuff ready before you start.
Nah you dont need all your stuff cos you can save your tax return and finish it off whenever you want.

MouNtY

i took my tax thingy to an accountant (i think it was an accountant, my folks took it to the dude for me), apparently i'm gettin like $2800 back or something.

maybe if you take it to an accountant they can get you more money

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
Komaticom said:
That program is flawed. I got a measley $225 from a Casual job and on my statement the Lump Sum Payment tab is blank, so I key in 0 in the program, but it demands a Lump Sum of greater than 0 to be able to lodge the e-form.

Sucks.
you dont need to do a tax return if you didnt pay any tax

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
also people, if youre having alot of trouble, you can pay to get your tax done, maybe about $40?? and that expense is also tax deductible

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
Komaticom said:
That program is flawed. I got a measley $225 from a Casual job and on my statement the Lump Sum Payment tab is blank, so I key in 0 in the program, but it demands a Lump Sum of greater than 0 to be able to lodge the e-form.

Sucks.
That happened to me, I typed 0 and came up with the same message, all u gotta do is leave it blank i.e. don't type in anything at all

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
I think using e-tax is a lot easier. I've used that for the past 2 years.

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
Komaticom said:
I tried leaving the Lump Sum A & B tabs blank and typing "0" for Total Tax Withheld but those two seem to be incompatible. On my statement the Tax Withheld is all "ZERO"s so I don't see a problem, but I still can't lodge it. Looks like I'll have to pay the ATO a visit, dangnammit.
Try leaving the total tax withheld cell blank as well??

I got my tax return last wed, only took a bit over a week, $1088.34 altogether :D

kylie_robbo

I submitted mine Saturday week ago at something like 11pm, and the money was in my bank account on Saturday morning just gone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)