• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How do u guys approach developing a drama piece? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey guys!

This is sort of random, but when u guys develop a drama piece ie. your IP, how did you go about approaching it?

Cos we went to see some hsc performances one day (i won't mention wat school), they were strong actors, fantastic performances etc, but my friend and i discussed about it and it seems like their approaches were more, you find the character first, then you build from that and work out what's the point of the piece..etc etc. Somehow, our class sort of looked for an idea first and then tried to find the character.

There's no right or wrong way obviously, don't get me wrong, but i was just wondering what people do:)?

-marilia- xoxo

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
green_appletini said:
Hey guys!

Cos we went to see some hsc performances one day (i won't mention wat school), they were strong actors, fantastic performances etc, but my friend and i discussed about it and it seems like their approaches were more, you find the character first, then you build from that and work out what's the point of the piece..etc etc. Somehow, our class sort of looked for an idea first and then tried to find the character.
I have to say that I don't really like that approach of finding the character first.
How I do my monologues:
- Firstly, I read many a plays and many a monologue books (but only Monologue books that contain monologues extracted or adapted from plays so when it comes to the adaptation I have something to cross-reference to)
- This years IP I read a couple of Pinter plays, and about 7 books of monologues. I found two that I liked out of GOD knows HOW many!!!
- I didn't have the whole play but I like the snippet I was given so I went onto Amazon and bought the play waited 2 weeks and finally it arrived at my front door!
- I like using monologues from plays because I can study the character a lot more and then I've got more scope to pick my adaptation of the character.

For my IP this year my monologue is a two person one...I change characters half way through.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)