• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How do you guys memorise essays? (1 Viewer)

katiekms

it’s like a big train wreck (la la la)
HSC
I’ve tried before, but i’ve always had to reduce it to like intro, topic sentences, quotes, and then make everything else up on the spot. how do you guys manage to memorise an entire essay? what different methods do you use?

Thank you so much!!

HSC
I’ve tried before, but i’ve always had to reduce it to like intro, topic sentences, quotes, and then make everything else up on the spot. how do you guys manage to memorise an entire essay? what different methods do you use?

Thank you so much!!
I just write the essay down a few times while saying it out loud. Works for me.

d.goomeister

HSC
I've heard mindmapping can help with the flow of your argument. Also apparently it helps a lot with retention idk

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC

Thank you so much!!
i know a lot of people write it down but i always found the quickest way (+most fool-proof way) to memorise is by reciting your essay out loud in chunks repetitively until you could say it aloud word for word. recite one chunk, then recite the another chunk, then see if you know those bits by heart by reciting both chunks together, rinse and repeat til you can recite the whole essay by heart. i memorised 3 essays + a discursive and a creative in the 2 days before my trials with this method without writing it down at all. i have trouble with sitting still and focusing so pacing around while reciting my essays was really helpful as well

katiekms

HSC
i know a lot of people write it down but i always found the quickest way (+most fool-proof way) to memorise is by reciting your essay out loud in chunks repetitively until you could say it aloud word for word. recite one chunk, then recite the another chunk, then see if you know those bits by heart by reciting both chunks together, rinse and repeat til you can recite the whole essay by heart. i memorised 3 essays + a discursive and a creative in the 2 days before my trials with this method without writing it down at all. i have trouble with sitting still and focusing so pacing around while reciting my essays was really helpful as well
omg honestly i think this would really work for me. personally trying to memorise by writing is really a struggle for me (because i similarly have trouble with focusing on one thing especially writing which bores me) so ill definitely try this method! what do you think about doing that + the method i’ve heard about where you read something while scribbling with a pen to like associate what you’re trying to memorise with the physical act of writing? i’ve only heard about it, not done it, but i’ve heard positive things.
thank you btw!!

carrotsss

HSC
^ masaken saved me hard by saying this before exams last year, can confirm it works very well

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
omg honestly i think this would really work for me. personally trying to memorise by writing is really a struggle for me (because i similarly have trouble with focusing on one thing especially writing which bores me) so ill definitely try this method! what do you think about doing that + the method i’ve heard about where you read something while scribbling with a pen to like associate what you’re trying to memorise with the physical act of writing? i’ve only heard about it, not done it, but i’ve heard positive things.
thank you btw!!
tbh i tried it once and i didn't think it helped that much (but since it's apparently scientifically proven to work then maybe i did it wrong? or didn't do it consistently). the way i did my essays was recite them while pacing around my room or downstairs in the kitchen so i didn't really scribble, but i guess you could say the pacing was my way of doing the scribbling thing?

katiekms

HSC
tbh i tried it once and i didn't think it helped that much (but since it's apparently scientifically proven to work then maybe i did it wrong? or didn't do it consistently). the way i did my essays was recite them while pacing around my room or downstairs in the kitchen so i didn't really scribble, but i guess you could say the pacing was my way of doing the scribbling thing?
hey you got an insane atar so i think i’ll trust you on this lol

its_ace21

/æɪs/
HSC
omg i study like that too

carrotsss

HSC
i actually felt so insane pacing around an empty room for like hours on end reciting essays but it worked

katiekms

HSC
i actually felt so insane pacing around an empty room for like hours on end reciting essays but it worked
wait how long did it usually take you to memorise it? unfortunately i am kinda impatient hahaaa but obviously i’ll stick to it if there’s no other way around it

carrotsss

HSC
wait how long did it usually take you to memorise it? unfortunately i am kinda impatient hahaaa but obviously i’ll stick to it if there’s no other way around it
a few hours of actual memorising per essay but i found it draining asf so i took a lot of breaks and it ended up taking a bit longer

katiekms

HSC
a few hours of actual memorising per essay but i found it draining asf so i took a lot of breaks and it ended up taking a bit longer
ahh okay thank you!! i guess its better to take longer and memorise it than have to wing it (like i’ve done many times lol)

Susu123

HSC
ahh okay thank you!! i guess its better to take longer and memorise it than have to wing it (like i’ve done many times lol)
fr i winged my prelims essay and got like 70 percent cuz i forgot everyting

SecretSpectre

HSC
I try to memorise one sentence at a time, read it to myself a few times, and move on to the next sentence. After I finish like half a paragraph I go and distract myself for a few minutes. After that I try to write/type it down from memory, find out what I remembered and what I didn't, then repeat that. This works for me if I don't leave things until the last 3 days to memorise my essay, like I am doing right now...

EDIT: I also find reading my essay out loud or typing it before sleeping quite helpful. After wake up I can remember some stuff. Again, this is for when you actually have time.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)