• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How do you sketch a function? (1 Viewer)

hungry

HSC
It's my bridging course homework and I had my teacher explain it several times but I still have no clue how to do this. I was hoping someone could do one of the questions and explain it step by step for me? You don't have to actually sketch it out but can you show me how to get to the answer?

Here's one of them: y = x^7 + 1

Silly Sausage

HSC
Find y-axis
A function where the highest degree is the only variable (where is odd), the curve usually looks similar the cubic function for expect the "horizontal point of inflection" looks longer depending on the degree. The constant usually determines how far or down the curve shifts.
This idea also applies for functions where the curve has an even degree, except it would be parabola that looks like it has a longer max, min turning point.

braintic

HSC
N/A
A good way to learn about functions like this is to download Geogebra or some other graphing program and just experiment. Try sketching y=x^2, y=x^3, y=x^4, etc on the same axes. Then start again and sketch y=x^7+1, y=x^7 - 2, y=(x+1)^7, y=(x-2)^7.

It will sink in much more easily if you sketch them for yourself rather than just being told.

Drsoccerball

HSC
It's my bridging course homework and I had my teacher explain it several times but I still have no clue how to do this. I was hoping someone could do one of the questions and explain it step by step for me? You don't have to actually sketch it out but can you show me how to get to the answer?

Here's one of them: y = x^7 + 1
Draw

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)