How do you study? (1 Viewer)

mitch_f1

HSC
Hey
Just a simple question; how do you study.

I have written summary notes on palm cards for all the topics of my 6 subjects. But I have found them not very useful, simply because when reading my palm cards i get distracted, and don't take as much in. I recently have found practise papers more useful, so I have started doing those (partly because my exam skills are not as good as my assessment skills...hence i'm trying to work on improving them)

So, that said, what are your methods? Maybe hanging upside down in pink cloathes does it for you?

Bricnic

Lookatmy Member
HSC
It depends what subjects you're doing-
Maths = Practice questions and exam papers.
English = Pracitce writing in exam conditions.
Sciences = Study the syllabus, be able to recall information on any of the dot points.
Others (content based) = Revise and summarise notes, try to write extended answers to lengthy questions from previous papers. Follow the syllabus as a guide if it is helpful for that subject, as it will generally tend to be.
Others (practical based) = Practice the practical side of the subject on a regular basis. E.g. Music; practice your instrument/singing daily, perform in front of an audience as often as possible, do lots of sightreading/sightsinging.

Of course these are just my idealised "advice" methods- if you were actually asking how I myself study, the simple answer is that I waste time and procastinate, hoping that I'll be able to do well despite doing minimal work. I do a little bit of homework here and there, especially if it's likely to be checked (yeah I'm such a mature and dedicated student :p), and do a small amount of moderately-effective study in the times leading up to exams. I don't do particularly well in my exams, but I can usually pull a rank in the top 4 or 5. I can almost convince myself that I'll start really buckling down soon, but the realistic part of me knows that I'm probably gonna do too little too late -_-

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Past papers are definitely the way to go, look up your notes if you're unsure of something that you encounter.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
I memorize and just regurgitate it in exams. Sure, it’s shit boring, but it works for me, as I suck at doing things under exam conditions. I also do past English questions and i am soon going to start doing past papers for most of my subjects, once I finish learning the content.

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
MAKE ur own notes for all ur subjects. They are the best notes for cramming. When uve made good comprehensive notes that summarise the syllabus, then go through and summarise the summaries that u already have! hahaha, its the only way!

There are heaps of other threads around for study techniques and methods. Look around for them in this forum :) Good luck....

passion89

HSC
Do plenty of past papers to familiarise yourself with the question structure they ask of you in the exams. And of course, make your notes and revise frequently!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)