How do you write an essay for Business Studies? (1 Viewer)

sarkar_as

HSC
I just got my exam back (which composed of multi choice and an essay) and I got 7/10 and 12/20 respectively, which means I got a total of 19/30. The exam was on Topic 2 - Marketing.

I think I've already lost the chance to top my school in the subject as the person who came 1st got 29/30. Also, I think I'm below average since the essay really screwed me over. The assessment was 25% of the year.

So I was just wondering how I could improve my essay to get it in the 19 or 20 range and somehow lift up my rank to maybe come in the top 10 by the end of the course.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey, for these essays if you don't have the natural ability to just write them on the spot like most people can't then you need to do a lot of practice essays in exam conditions and then get them marked by your teachers. Generally speaking for an essay you need to ensure your case studies are all specific and not like general, this can be done through the use of statistics and being very specific when identifying issues or what a business is doing well. You should use a case study for each paragraph. Moreover, your content needs to be very in depth and this can be helped through writing more. I know people often say writing more isn't always good, in this case of business studies if someone wrote say 5 pages on a topic and another person wrote 8 or 9 pages for the essay, they are more likely to have gone in depth into the content. In saying this however, business is often seen as a subject which is easy and you can just make up stuff up on the spot, but if you really want to achieve a high mark you must put in the work and dedication into making notes and reading your textbooks, which ensures you provide specific terminology related to a concept. But like I said at the start only way you can improve in these essays as boring as it is, is by doing practice.

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
Hey, for these essays if you don't have the natural ability to just write them on the spot like most people can't then you need to do a lot of practice essays in exam conditions and then get them marked by your teachers. Generally speaking for an essay you need to ensure your case studies are all specific and not like general, this can be done through the use of statistics and being very specific when identifying issues or what a business is doing well. You should use a case study for each paragraph. Moreover, your content needs to be very in depth and this can be helped through writing more. I know people often say writing more isn't always good, in this case of business studies if someone wrote say 5 pages on a topic and another person wrote 8 or 9 pages for the essay, they are more likely to have gone in depth into the content. In saying this however, business is often seen as a subject which is easy and you can just make up stuff up on the spot, but if you really want to achieve a high mark you must put in the work and dedication into making notes and reading your textbooks, which ensures you provide specific terminology related to a concept. But like I said at the start only way you can improve in these essays as boring as it is, is by doing practice.
This is good.

I'd also recommend emphasising on simplicity. Writing 4-5 sentences per paragraph can be hugely stronger than writing for example 7-8 sentences. Being concise is highly important and getting straight to the point. I'd recommend the simple route and just;
- Topic sentence (1 sentence)
- Define/Expand (1-2 sentences)
- Case study (1-2 sentences)
- Conclusion (1 sentence)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Remember it's not so much an essay but a report. Best idea is to look at model examples (ask your teacher or check on BoS) of how others have written reports.

ad_321

HSC
Structure and format is crucial especially for section 3. Make use of dot points and sub headings and not long long paragraphs (I was marked down for this in trials).

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Structure and format is crucial especially for section 3. Make use of dot points and sub headings and not long long paragraphs (I was marked down for this in trials).
Dot points are the great. It's the perfect justification for incomplete sentences.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)