How does high school maths compare to university maths? (2 Viewers)

Synchronised

HSC
Hi,
Is doing very well in maths ext2 enough preparation for BSc if I want to major in maths/physics?
Many people told me that maths at uni is all about understanding and proving things so they suggested that I go through the velleman book which is a proving book, others suggested that I go through group theory, vector spaces and linear transformations, real analysis (sequences, series, convergences) and some calculus so what do you guys think? Can someone please tell me what people generally study in first year uni? uni websites don't really have any info...

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
For now i think you should worry about your HSC and going well in 3 and 4 unit. There'll be oppurtunities for you to ask these kind of questions at open days and stuff.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Hi,
Is doing very well in maths ext2 enough preparation for BSc if I want to major in maths/physics?
Many people told me that maths at uni is all about understanding and proving things so they suggested that I go through the velleman book which is a proving book, others suggested that I go through group theory, vector spaces and linear transformations, real analysis (sequences, series, convergences) and some calculus so what do you guys think? Can someone please tell me what people generally study in first year uni? uni websites don't really have any info...
First year uni? You'll just revise some of 3u and 4u, the relevant stuff. For instance, you'll relearn integration, complex numbers, etc. You'll be introduced into matrices and linear maps. More rigourous definitions for things like limits and the like, so yes - there is an emphasis on proof and clear mathematical writing and thinking (and yes, I've been in courses where you do get marks for how well you write your answer - i.e. in English, in full sentences, with proper grammar and spelling). Things that you'll build upon later on.

You'll have enough time at uni to learn everything you need to - so really, you shouldn't waste your time doing that stuff now because you'll have time later to do so. But if you're enthusiastic about it, then go ahead.

And to your first question, I've seen people who get 99 and 100 in 3u and 4u drop to scraping 70s or credits at uni. Sure, doing well in high school maths is good - but at uni, because of the different learning and teaching style - if you're not self-motivated, have fun scraping credits or passes.

edit: and here's a linky for the subjects at unsw: https://www.maths.unsw.edu.au/currentstudents/course-homepages , quite easy to navigate. So if you were majoring in maths, you'd be doing MATH1141, 1241, 1081.

Last edited:

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
This link has a list of 1st Year, 2nd Year and 3rd Year Mathematics subjects offered at USYD.

http://www.maths.usyd.edu.au/u/UG/

Junior = 1st

Intermediate = 2nd

Senior = 3rd

Generally, University Mathematics is more axiomatic in nature and more 'proof-based', as opposed to giving theorems without proof (rarely done).

For the earlier subjects, you still have the usual 'boring drills problems' which just involve calculations and computations etc but the further down you go, the more 'proof-ish' the problems become.

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
And to your first question, I've seen people who get 99 and 100 in 3u and 4u drop to scraping 70s or credits at uni.
Generally, University Mathematics is more axiomatic in nature and more 'proof-based', as opposed to giving theorems without proof (rarely done).

For the earlier subjects, you still have the usual 'boring drills problems' which just involve calculations and computations etc but the further down you go, the more 'proof-ish' the problems become.
I agree with these two. Uni maths is very different to high school maths; just because you're good at and enjoy high school maths doesn't mean you'll be good at and enjoy uni maths, and vice versa. I've been tutoring Extension 2 for almost 2 years now but at times I still find it fairly difficult and some parts fairly boring. Uni maths is much more interesting for me. If you genuinely enjoy doing maths in high school, maybe in your spare time take a look at some uni level maths (further first year calculus, some linear algebra such as vectors and matrices) but don't freak out if you don't understand anything as you haven't learnt it yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)