• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How does one get a retail job? (2 Viewers)

hero.

HSC
N/A
Like all I hear from the stores I've applied at is that you need some experience in retail. And the problem begins for me here. Where do you get this experience when you dont have any? Is there a starting point because a lot of the stores I've applied at say that they want someone with something like cash handling experience, retail background and so on.

G

Gavvvvvin

You get it when your 14 or have someone to put a good word in for you :p

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
how old are you? if you're like 15, get a job at maccas for a year or so, employers love maccas kids because of the great training they apparently get.

HSC
hero. said:
Like all I hear from the stores I've applied at is that you need some experience in retail. And the problem begins for me here. Where do you get this experience when you dont have any? Is there a starting point because a lot of the stores I've applied at say that they want someone with something like cash handling experience, retail background and so on.

haha, hey
well ahuh, at first it could be pretty hard, but you should really think about getting some work experience at general pants or something, usually a job offer comes along! good luck

hero.

HSC
N/A
The thing is IM EIGHTTEEENNNN!!!

And how does a school student get priority over me even though they may be cheaper or whatever the case is with their pay. However I have more avalibility i.e. I have days off while school students dont.

And isnt this inexperience solved with training?

WhackiWheelz

HSC
lol apply for Coles or Woolies, they take people with no work experience

"Chubby"

HSC
www.bigw.com.au ....mostly every big w store in NSW is looking for christmas staff....try there or try out newspapers...they could help sometimes.

sandersen

si seulement...
HSC
I got my first job at age 16 with no experience - ie I had done some babysitting before, but nothing else.

I would reccommend you go into smaller shops in your area even without them having an 'casuals needed' or whatever sign in the window and ask to speak to the manager and ask if there are any opportunities. Basically this shows your initiative and enthusiasm - the way I see it, if there is someone who actually wants a job there they would be pretty stupid to turn you down.

My story: I live in the lower north shore, and applied for a job at a small french patisserie in Castle Crag - just went in and asked to speak to the manager. There weren't any customers (go at a low business time so that they aren't stressed) and talk to them. Inform them of your relevant skills eg I can speak French which also helped, or anything. I was told to come back for an interview the next week and then was offered a job. The end.

I worked there for a year although I didn't really like the job that much - the experience is important. I would say try and get a contract because I was paid cash in hand which meant they thought they could pay me less because I wouldn't be taxed... dodgy dodgy. But the hours were good - I was in year 11 and worked some afternoons and then sunday mornings. In year 12 it was only sunday mornings so I earned about $50-60 a week. Had I wanted to I could have worked more.

Good luck :)

alby

cool duckie
HSC
dude, i'm TWENTY and really need moolah before i go overseas/move out. i'm going through and applying at a heap of retail outlets in my local area.

check out places like seek (www.seek.com.au) and the jobsearch website (www.jobsearch.gov.au). ask/hand out resumes at some local shops. shoot off emails to larger stores, expressing your interest in a job there...tell them when you're available and attach your resume.
apply at as many places as you can think of...even if they say there's no positions, just say that you're really interested and ask them to keep a hold of it for future reference. chase places up if you dont get a reply.

hero.

HSC
N/A
The thing with applying with email is that they dont seem that reliable. I applied a Big W 2 months back, got called in for an interview however the interview was for a job that I didnt even apply for. And do i emailed them because they email they sent me said that if there was any problems, I email them however they never replied.

And so when i got to the interview, the lady then told me that she had no power to reply to my emails and so i wonder if there really is a point.

Also with these seek and jobsonline, someone in this forum said before that those employers spend a lot of money to get the right person so i would avoid those sites until you do have experience. Ive tried applying to jobs on those sites for a while and only 1 replied, and that one reply was about how they tried to call me for an interview which they never did.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)