• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How does standard math scale down ? (1 Viewer)

ss2000

HSC
There are a lot of rumors about ATAR scaling of Standard math.
I saw the attached document in one of the posts.
If it is true, then there is no scaling down when you get Band 6.
Can anyone confirm the correctness of this document ?
Do you know people who did Standard math and got ATAR above 98 ?

Attachments

WeiWeiMan

HSC
There are a lot of rumors about ATAR scaling of Standard math.
I saw the attached document in one of the posts.
If it is true, then there is no scaling down when you get Band 6.
Can anyone confirm the correctness of this document ?
Do you know people who did Standard math and got ATAR above 98 ?
scaling up scaling down yap yap yap
the statement isn't correct cuz scaling up and scaling down barely makes any sense 😭

funnytomato

HSC
Your document is the HSC mark against ATAR contribution not against scaled mark. Noting that precaution the document looks reasonable.

The ATAR contribution is assuming if all other units are of the same scaled mark what's the ATAR equivalent. E.g. If I get 97 for maths standard that is about scaled mark of 86.6 (see 'UAC table A3' for the mapping between HSC mark and scaled mark).

If all other 8 units are of the same scaled mark that brings the total scaled mark (aka aggregate) to 86.6*5=433 aggregate. According to UAC table A9 that aggregate should be just below 98.00 (your document has 97.80 so more or less in agreement)

So yeah it is possible to get 98 ATAR. But do note 97 in maths standard(97.8 ATAR contribution ) is the top 1% in all candidates so that would be top 300 place out of the 30000 cohort. Or in other words if you want 98.00 ATAR you'd need to be in the top 1% in math standard without being 'dragged down' by it

For comparison maths advanced HSC mark of 94 is the top 10 percent /90th percentile (1600th place out of 16000 cohort) and that gives scaled mark of 87.4 which is equivalent to an ATAR just above 98.00

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)