• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How does the uni preferences work? (1 Viewer)

bukwow

I am a Banana
HSC
i'm just wondering how does it actually work

i'll create a scenario

Scenario 1

Person A ended up having UAI of 84 and has put his number 1 preference for Bcom at Macquarie where its cut off is 85.

Person B however ended up with a UAI of 86 but has this course at the preference of number 9.

Is it that the person with the highest UAI gets preference even though his preference is number alot higher?
i wouldn't be surprised if it is however

if so then

Scenario 2

Person A ended up having UAI of 84 and has put his number 1 preference for Bcom at Macquarie where its cut off is 85.

Person B however ended up with a UAI of 86 but does not put commerce in any of its preferences until later in the second round offers.

i'm just wondering about this one as well because does people have priority putting the course in first round offers over other people with a little bit higher UAI who ends up putting it into the second or last round offers as a last resort

thanks

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
well if you get a UAI of 84 and the course was 85, chances are that you didn't get a high enough UAI for it, so they keep checking your courses in order of preference until they can find one which is suitable
using scenario 1, person B would probably get in, if his first 8 preferences didnt fit the criteria
however, ive head of some people that had gotten into their courses where their UAI was slight lower than the cut off so all hope is not lost

Raginsheep

HSC
You get the first UAI preference that you qualify for.

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
LottoX said:
If you don't have the UAI, you wont get the course. Simple as that.
As said though, it's been heard of sometimes unis take people if they are only 1 or 2 UAI points below the cut off, so I wouldn't say it's as simple as that. I'm sure it would depend on how many people are that 1 or 2 points below however I'd imagine, without them actually lowering the cut off.

bukwow

I am a Banana
HSC
azn_gangsta81 said:
well if you get a UAI of 84 and the course was 85, chances are that you didn't get a high enough UAI for it, so they keep checking your courses in order of preference until they can find one which is suitable
using scenario 1, person B would probably get in, if his first 8 preferences didnt fit the criteria
however, ive head of some people that had gotten into their courses where their UAI was slight lower than the cut off so all hope is not lost
yeah thanks for that, and yeah its true that some people get into a few marks lower, my sister managed to get into the scholarship in UNSW even though her UAI was 3 marks below it. she made up for it because of a very good interview. sigh i only wished that all courses were like that

because also its kinda hard to believe that there are so many commerce courses in macquarie and all of their minimum is ranged from 85 to 86.35. its pretty slim considering the wide range of courses they have

Last edited:

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
bukwow said:
yeah thanks for that, and yeah its true that some people get into a few marks lower, my sister managed to get into the scholarship in UNSW even though her UAI was 3 marks below it. she made up for it because of a very good interview. sigh i only wished that all courses were like that

because also its kinda hard to believe that there are so many commerce courses in macquarie and all of their minimum is ranged from 85 to 86.35. its pretty slim considering the wide range of courses they have
which scholarship did your sister get into?

bukwow

I am a Banana
HSC
STx said:
which scholarship did your sister get into?
umm BIT UNSW at 2002, this year is her last year

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)