• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How hard is extension 2 math? (1 Viewer)

v.tex

HSC
Hey guys, I am considering extension 2 math for year 12 as I am thinking of doing STEM or applied math degree and people keep telling me extension 2 is really useful for this. The thing is I have recently been very lazy in ext 1 and haven't been studying enough leading me to get pretty rubbish marks. Do you think its possible for me to pick up ext 2? Just wondering if it is worth it- whether it will be way to hard for me. I also think it might pair well with Physics which i am doing.

moonsuyoung

eng hater 101
HSC
Hey guys, I am considering extension 2 math for year 12 as I am thinking of doing STEM or applied math degree and people keep telling me extension 2 is really useful for this. The thing is I have recently been very lazy in ext 1 and haven't been studying enough leading me to get pretty rubbish marks. Do you think its possible for me to pick up ext 2? Just wondering if it is worth it- whether it will be way to hard for me. I also think it might pair well with Physics which i am doing.
for most schools or for all, you have to get invited to be in maths extension 2, depending on how good your rank is. The cut-off depends for each school so check with your school for it. For mx2, you can't be lazy, its a hard subject and requires a lot of time and effort

MoonMonster196884

HSC
for most schools or for all, you have to get invited to be in maths extension 2, depending on how good your rank is. The cut-off depends for each school so check with your school for it. For mx2, you can't be lazy, its a hard subject and requires a lot of time and effort
bro come to sdehs, the competition is very high and the avg student is state ranker level.

v.tex

HSC
Yeah, imma have to sweat in prelims. Should be achievable as half my class can't do math so I should be able to get my rank up.

Average Boreduser

Rising Renewal
HSC
You can not afford to be lazy if you intend to do an extension 2 subject. If you are willing to change your 'laziness' by prelims, I assume you'd do absolutely fine. As the name suggests, it's an extension of the x1 course, and so will be reasonably more difficult. Topics in particular which get annoying would be proofs and areas of complex numbers (I hate the locusts still to this day- cmplx lovers, come fight me 🥊🥊). If you did any olympiads in the past though (I'm assuming you have given you have indicated that you're passionate enough about maths to consider an applied degree), then this would be both fun and at the same time, annoying ash bc these questions NEED you to be experienced in some way, shape or form (as opposed to pure intellect and iq). This experience is only attained by blood, sweat, tears. If you aren't willing to put in the work, leave the opportunity for someone who would.

On that note, NO HARD FEELINGS - THIS IS PURELY JUST MOTIVATION 💪

Last edited:

v.tex

HSC
You can not afford to be lazy if you intend to do an extension 2 subject. If you are willing to change your 'laziness' by prelims, I assume you'd do absolutely fine. As the name suggests, it's an extension of the x1 course, and so will be reasonably more difficult. Topics in particular which get annoying would be proofs and areas of complex numbers (I hate the locusts still to this day- cmplx lovers, come fight me 🥊🥊). If you did any olympiads in the past though (I'm assuming you have given you have indicated that you're passionate enough about maths to consider an applied degree), then this would be both fun and at the same time, annoying ash bc these questions NEED you to be experienced in some way, shape or form (as opposed to pure intellect and iq). This experience is only attained by blood, sweat, tears. If you aren't willing to put in the work, leave the opportunity for someone who would.

On that note, NO HARD FEELINGS - THIS IS PURE MOTIVATION 💪
neuroplasticity is definitely a thing

xoNat

don't worry, be happy
HSC
I hate the locusts still to this day- cmplx lovers, come fight me 🥊🥊
I like loci, proofs is where it stinks

As someone from a less competitive school that doesn't choose who does 4u, it's been pretty tough but I'd do it again. I didn't have the best ranks in prelim 3u but I'm not doing so bad now. 4u is genuinely a really interesting course and I don't see any reasons not to do it unless you're allergic to hard work

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)