• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How hard is it for a person who just finished year 12 with..... (2 Viewers)

H

housemouse

I just like finished year 12 and I have absolutely no work experience whatsoever, how hard is it for someone like me to find a part time job at a place that gives decent pay i.e. at least over ten dollars?

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
by now, probably a bit harder, u woulda been better off about a month ago, unfourtunatley

BlackDragon

HSC
i finished school and had no experience and now i have a good paying job. alot of it depends upon luck. just apply everywhere as best you can and you'll find the answer to your question. inexperience doesn't mean that much as long as you're good.

biomic

(pronounced yay-zu)
HSC
I was the same after Year 12, to be truly honest with you, you'll have to be really lucky to land a retail job at this stage I think. Id be looking at either hospitality (started in a nightclub as my first job the January after Year 12) or office admin/assistance of some sort. You can also try going with a recruitment agency

HSC
housemouse said:
I just like finished year 12 and I have absolutely no work experience whatsoever, how hard is it for someone like me to find a part time job at a place that gives decent pay i.e. at least over ten dollars?
I think we're in the same boat. Hi! :wave:

Scanorama

HSC
I got a job at Kmart as a Christmas casual straight after year 12 with no employment history whatsoever. Places like that always need people around Christmas. Having said that, avoid Coles Myer Christmas casual at all costs.

sarevok

HSC
well
places like coles, woolies, fast food etc dont usually require experience
but a lot of these places won't be hiring at the moment
so you won't find a job NOW
but later on, probably it won't be too hard

hellomike

HSC
Did you do any vocational experience? Even that you can put down because it isn't too good if you have nothing to show. It is best if you start out with hospiliaty - somewhere that experience isn't absolutely required. You will probably realise retail won't suit you because they need people with experience. It's just that they need people with a fair idea of an retail environment so you can get stiuck in.

Just on the issue of lying on your resume, it is definitely not good to do this. You might get caught out if for example, you are having a one on one interview and the prospective employer asks you about it and if you are applying for a good retail company, they are going to check your referees (they check it anyway even if you are someone they see fit).

Last edited:
H

housemouse

Well going by what you all have posted, the chances of a job arent pretty good.

Say I applied for an advertised vacant position on a company's website, 2 weeks ago, should i still be expecting a reply since the position is still being advertised?

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
ohhh im in the same boat :eek: ive applied to heaps of places and most of them have stopped hiring or want more than the 5 months of experience that i have... *sigh* i really need a job, not just for money but to keep from going insane in between parties, which is basically all i have been doing: job hunting and partying.

HSC
N/A
Don't lie, they'd probably find out.

You're probably good starting at the bottom (fast food or supermarkets) and working your way up. Supermarkets pay okay. Or alternatively, have connections. =P

hellomike

HSC
It depends on the job. If you applied for it and you really want that position then try chasing it up by calling the company and ask about your application. Two weeks does seem too long. Otherwise try other positions but don't apply for jobs which don't fit your experience because you are just wasting your effort creating a good Resume.

And again, it's easy to say lie on your Resume especially those who are still in school but your reputation is on the line especially when someone wants to hire you but when they call your referees, they don't exist and you are out. You can say goodbye to that company if you want to apply again.

T-mac01

HSC
N/A
hellomike said:
It depends on the job. If you applied for it and you really want that position then try chasing it up by calling the company and ask about your application. Two weeks does seem too long. Otherwise try other positions but don't apply for jobs which don't fit your experience because you are just wasting your effort creating a good Resume.

And again, it's easy to say lie on your Resume especially those who are still in school but your reputation is on the line especially when someone wants to hire you but when they call your referees, they don't exist and you are out. You can say goodbye to that company if you want to apply again.
just lie about stuff that can't really be checked. You can say you've worked in a hardware store assisting, maintaining and customer servicing. These are small businesses that require employees to do different jobs from the larger firms. For coles myer or woolworth, they would only be interested if you are keen and had previous experience to assure that you can meet their demands.

vg_woz_here

HSC
you should have started job hunting before the hsc. or found a job during yr11.

i found a job before the end of term3. and worked 1-2days during the hsc.

best place to find jobs are goin out to the shops and asking or handing resumes.

sl3epyAZN

HSC
it was very hard for me to find one.. well 2 months after hsc i was just stayin home and chilling. then got sick of it. and started looking and fk it was hard.. i had to resort working at maccas.. they pay u 13.3 an hour so its not too bad. Easy job. meet new friends etc. If u are desperate for a job after hsc go work at maccas. They are always lookin for people especially in the cities etc.

Bendent

HSC
the most important thing is whether you have the skill you know. if you are inexperienced but you are natually good at communication skills for example then it would be easy to find and keep those kind of jobs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)