• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

how hard is it to get distinctions in first year commerce? (1 Viewer)

Arithela

HSC
would anyone be able to post up their 1st years results and comment on the difficulty involved?

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Arithela said:
would anyone be able to post up their 1st years results and comment on the difficulty involved?
It is different for everyone...

How intelligent are you?

How much work are you willing to put in?

danielvh

HSC
Not too difficult. I could probably get distinctions with minimal effort as long as I did all the work. Getting high distinctions is tough though and requires quite a bit of work.

But really depends on your intelligence, interest in the subject matter and work habits.

HSC
Arithela said:
i doubt anyone's going to, just find out when you start depends as people said on your intelligence, how much you pay attention during tuts/lecs, and how interested you are. focus on your hsc and getting through that first before wondering what marks you are going to get at uni.

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
Commerce is relatively easy content but requires relatively more keeping up, motivation to study at home, etc.

So whilst I'd say any reasonably intelligent person who managed to get in via HECS should expect a D, some don't achieve this as their mind is elsewhere.

HD's are hard not because the content is hard but because you're likely to lose marks from anal marking, random ambiguous questions and group assignments.

That said there's also a lot of drop-kicks studying commerce. But that's a separate group altogether.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't think intelligence has all too much to do with it (you'd have to be reasonably intelligent to get into Commerce in the first place). The key is to get through by studying hard in week or two leading up to the midsems/ final exams and good cramming techniques (worked for me)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)