• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

how is ext. 1 ? help ! (1 Viewer)

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
hi im just wondering if i should choose maths ext.1 next year. ive gone through the 2u textbook and ive already learnt more than half the prelim stuff in tudor already. but ii dont feel comfortable in 3u maths. and the questions ii see asked here im like @_@ wth is going on LOL. ahaha .. of course ii dont expect myself to know much of it yet kos im still in year 10 but ii just have no clue what is going on. and btw like if ii were to get 50's-70's in ext. 1 would that be better than getting 90's in 2u ? um yeahh .. ii feel really comfortable in 2u but 3u has got my worrying. thanks

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
o.0 If you'd already learnt more than of the prelim 2u stuff, surely you'd do fine in 3u...you could cope with the stuff you've seen, right?

Anyway, just do it. You can always drop it if you don't like it :D

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
Do at first, if struggling then drop at end of year 11. But really, the extension 1 course is only an extension of the 2 unit course, not much new topics and whatnot. With some hard work as well as study, you should be able to do well in the extension 1 course :)

Riviet

HSC
N/A
To cut a moderately long story short, just try it out before you think of anything else. :)

gamecw

HSC
lol since u've done most of 2 unit's, u still have about 2 years n 3 weeks to study for 3 unit.. im pretty sure u can do good in 3 unit if ur already doin 2u in yr 10.

Affinity

HSC
do as many(subjects) as you can in year 11 .. doesn't hurt

my grammar is becoming worse by the day..

Last edited:

Sir Loin

HSC
Yr11 is the time u think of doing subjects you think you're interested in. Since you seem interested in doing 3u maths, just do ext maths, don't like it? you can drop it later in year 12, or in yr 11 (i think...depending on your units) besides, you're killing 2u yes? give ext a try. It's also the pathway to the much coveted ext2 maths (w/ it's S2 scaling :D) if u choose to do it.

P

pLuvia

and btw like if ii were to get 50's-70's in ext. 1 would that be better than getting 90's in 2u ? um yeahh .. ii feel really comfortable in 2u but 3u has got my worrying. thanks
It really depends on the school and test, a 50-70 maybe be better for a hard 3u test, then a 90 in an easy 2u test. But 50-70 for a hsc mark for 3u, really depends on the difficulty of that year.

fishy89sg

HSC
SoulSearcher said:
But really, just try it out. You might actually find the work possible to do if you work at it :)
exactly, try before you buy pls

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
hmmm .. ii think nearly everybody is telling to me to try it .. but thing is, my teacher told me not to and well ii guess he could be wrong .. but he is the one putting doubt in my mind. he doesnt know that ii know some of the 2u stuff but the marks im getting right now are like .. err .. not as good as he or ii would hope. and if im not really capable of doing as high in year 10 adv. maths should ii even consider 3u ?

SoulSearcher

HSC
Nah, you should try it at first, it looks like you are doing well in 2 unit maths. And I didn't do that well for year 10 maths, but that didn't stop me from doing well in 2 and 3 unit :) You just have to put the effort in :uhhuh:

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
SoulSearcher said:
Nah, you should try it at first, it looks like you are doing well in 2 unit maths. And I didn't do that well for year 10 maths, but that didn't stop me from doing well in 2 and 3 unit :) You just have to put the effort in :uhhuh:
hmmm okaayss .. ii guess thats true .. & is it really that hard to go from 2u to 3u ? ii mean going down is like easyy .. but is going up that difficult ?

H

housemouse

If you've learnt the 2 unit course in year 10, then you already got a headstart over others and by the time the HSC comes, your going to be more prepared than most of the state provided you do constant study and so on.

And your in year 10, dont expect to know everything in one shot. It takes time. And i also suggest you take up extension 2 in year 12 so that extension 1 becomes really easy (you'll find out when your in year 12).

P

pLuvia

I definately agree with housemouse, if you do 4u in year 12, you should find 3u relatively/really easy. Just like if you do 3u, you'll find 2u easy as well.

Don't listen to your teacher, unless you are doing that bad that you shouldn't do 3u. But definately try it, because when you choose it you always have the opportunity to drop it, but if you don't you can't take it up after year 12

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
LOL ! .. im not that good at 2u atm !! ><" ii only know a bit !! & its only some of the prelim stuff !! ><" my friend is doing the 2u course now and she's finding it pretty easy and she's planning to do 4u .. but me .. NO WAYYY !! .. ii have never considered 4u ever in my life !! trust me .. although id so love to dream & do it !! XD ahah .. but im not capable of that !!

alexvincent

HSC
Do not be overwhelmed when you look at the 3u content... of course you're not gonna know much of it at this stage. You don't necessarily need to be a SC maths band 6 student to be able to do well in 3u... I only got 86 in the SC and I got 92 in 3u last year. If you are reasonably good at 2u then 3u shouldn't pose much of a problem. Doing 3u also has a huge advantage... the trend is that 3uniters usually smash the non-3uniters in the 2u course.

Just do it, you have the option of dropping it. A bit of hard work from any moderately bright student should see them do at least okay in 3u.

SoulSearcher

HSC
sle3pe3bumz said:
LOL ! .. im not that good at 2u atm !! ><" ii only know a bit !! & its only some of the prelim stuff !! ><" my friend is doing the 2u course now and she's finding it pretty easy and she's planning to do 4u .. but me .. NO WAYYY !! .. ii have never considered 4u ever in my life !! trust me .. although id so love to dream & do it !! XD ahah .. but im not capable of that !!
That's what I thought earlier this year, but now I'm doing extension 2 maths :)

Last edited:

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
hmmm .. so you really think ii should do the 3u course and try it out ? should ii not listen to what my teacher told me ? could somebody tell me what is involved in the 3u course ? thanks =]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)