How many composition tasks have you recieved so far? (1 Viewer)

How many composition tasks have you been given? (including practice & submitted work)

Votes: 3 75.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5+

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stainmepink

HSC
Year 11 Students, both Music 1 and 2. I'm talking to you. I'm slightly worried because its June now, and i've only ever gotten one composition task. ever. That includes composition which is practice and which is actually counted in the marks. and that compo was only like about 24 bars long. How about you guys? How many composition tasks ahve you gotten this year?

babywhitto

well in year 11 and 12...compositions that were actual assessments only 2.

compositions that were just for the class mark...ummm 5.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Composition tutor. Incredibly important to get a composition tutor who can guide you through the process. Most high school music teachers have never composed anything, so it's a good idea to invest in lessons with somebody who has.

Humiliative

HSC
Well we have gotten a composition task each term so thats two so far......aced em both although it was easy stuff.. i.e. chord progressions.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
i never had any tutoring and i did fine.....

i did 4 compositions for my hsc (for music 2 and extension) and just thoroughly working on these, researching and developing as you go was adequete for me. If I did anymore compositions I probably would've died. Because I put so much depth in the four....

So you may not need to panic if you don't get tasks, just make sure you research a lot, have a look at some scores, critically analyse your piece, talk to your teacher a lot and document your drafts and you should be fine :)

And for credibility, I'm at the Conservatorium of Music like Phanatical is, so I'm not pulling it out of my arse....

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Thing is though, not everybody has school teachers who understand compositional technique. For all his qualities, Mr. Lane didn't know much about composition at all - as a performance teacher he had not composed anything in like 30 years - it was my interview (where I went off on a huge rant about the HSC and how it was stupid), and my music skills test (ranked really really high in the applying candidature) that got me in.

A composition tutor is useful for fine tuning the ideas that students have. Things like pointing out different ways of using instruments (extended techniques), suggestions about ensemble writing, ensemble size and things like that. For example, it may be more appropriate to use techniques like hitting the strings with the back of the bow (col legno), rather than to write in a new percussion part.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)