how much do internals effect overall (1 Viewer)

HSC
i just had the first couple of internals for hsc and they werent too good.
how much of an impact does this have if my school is ranked about top 30?

carrotsss

HSC
It’s not that big of an impact as long as you make it up next year

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I definitely agree with carrotsss in that unfavourable performance in one or two school-based assessment tasks/exams is not decisive. In ensuring that you attain and maintain a favourable position going forward, you may wish to consider two important factors:
  • The weighting of each assessment task/exam - Weightings vary between assessment tasks/exams and across different subjects. This means that unfavourable performance in an assessment task or exam that has a higher weighting (for instance, 30%) presents a negative effect on your internal performance that is more significant than unfavourable performance in an assessment task or exam with a lower weighting (for example, 20%). Ideally, the goal would be to maximise your performance in your remaining assessment tasks and exams, especially those that carry heavier weightings.
  • Your rank relative to your cohort in your subjects - Ultimately, favourable ranks across your subjects constitute the position that you are pursuing with respect to your internal performance, as the higher the rank, the higher your Assessment Mark is likely to be in a particular subject. The fact that you attend a school ranked in the 30s is good because, depending on your performance goals, you may not necessarily need to rank as high as possible (i.e. within the top few students) to ensure favourable internal performance given that you are part of an academically capable cohort. With that being said, it is still important to ensure that your ranks do not drop too much as this can severely hinder your internal performance.
I hope this helps! :D

HSC
something to make you feel a little better but I ranked first in all my subjects in the first term of year 12 and slowly fell off top 5 by the end of trials :eek:

seannnnnw

HSC
i just had the first couple of internals for hsc and they werent too good.
how much of an impact does this have if my school is ranked about top 30?
In selective schools especially, the first test pretty much defines what rank you are for the rest of the year. It's because as you put more effort in, other people also put more effort in and it just neutralises and you pretty much just maintain your rank. HOWEVER, what you get on first internals is NOT an end-all be-all. In fact for my first 2 internals I was actually ranked bottom 30-40 ish, and managed to climb 70 ranks by the 4th internal and I know many other ppl that have done something very similar. So although first internals doesn't define you, if you are scoring lower than you would like, I would definitely consider changing something.

4321suomynona

HSC
That being said it will have an impact on ur final mark. You basically have a little to no chance of state ranking that subject (if you would have liked to in the first place), and even if you do manage to climb many ranks u will see that finally when atar comes out there is a high chance that ur internals r lower than ur externals and thus ur avg HSC mark is lower (than ur externals) and thus negatievly impacts ur atar. It defintely does have an impact but ur trying to minimise it ig.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Just wondering, what would be the impact of a 15% weighting internal task and you flopped it?
The impact of unfavourable performance in an internal assessment task worth 15% is typically minimal. If this was your first task, then you still have 85% of your internal performance that is yet to be determined, which constitutes a great chance to improve your rank relative to your cohort in the subject in question and place yourself in an advantageous position as you approach your HSC exams. Of course, doing so will require you to do what it takes (for example, regularly studying and addressing areas of improvement) to ensure favourable performance in your upcoming internal assessment tasks/exams of the subject.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)