• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How much do ranks matter? (2 Viewers)

shuning

HSC
cuz i was reading this other topic about some guy's estimated uai. ppl were saying the ranks matter alot, so i guees my estimation from sam wasnt that accurate then T.T atm im in a school ranked 117 and those are my current ranks and marks

Standard English 14/42 (45% i failed standard T.T)
3u Math 20/57 (87%)
4u Math 18/22 (88%)
Physics 19/54 (61%)
Eco 12/19 (67%)

im expecting this mark to increase, cuz i did jack shit in yr 11 and the last term of 2008. my prediction of my marks are

Standard Eng 80+ (rank top 10)
Math 4U 80- 90 (rank top 15)
Math 3u 90ish ( rank top 15)
Eco 80+ ( rank top 10 out of 15 ppl LOL )
Phy 80+ ( rank top 15 out of 50ish ppl )

on sam it said i get 94.7 but what do u guys think my actual uai is gona be? my rankings are byond shit! and i need to get into commerce at UNSW or Eco at SYD

savio23q

Band
HSC
Ranks matter a lot.
Stop worrying about estimations and just kill assessments and assignments.
Putting predicted marks into SAM now gives you bullshit estimates.

shuning

HSC
but can some1 give me an estimate tho? and how far am i from my goals? xDD

assignments r pain in the ass 4 me due to my english ( i was kicked from ESL ) so eng and eco assignments are big pain 4 meT.T

Schoey93

HSC
Ranks matter a fair bit. This mainly because the Baord of Studies does this fhecked up thing called moderating, and this even more fhecked up thing called aligning.

For example.

Tom, Dick and Harry were the only people at Kellyville High to study Physics (just a ridiculous example, sorry if you're actually in this situation :) ).
Their internal assessment marks were:
Tom - 78/100
Dick - 96/100
Harry - 85/100.

Now as you can see, Tom did pretty damn shit.

Their EXAM marks wore:
Tom - 95/100 (Had a major cram session the night before the exam.)
Dick - 65/100 (Got pissed the day before the exam and halfway through he had to run to the toilets and puke 'cos he was hungover.)
Harry - 91/100 (Crammed with Tom.)

SO, the final MODERATED internal assessment marks would be:
Tom - 65/100
Dick - 95/100
Harry - 91/100
(In this case, Harry is lucky enough to get his own external exam mark for his assessment mark.)

And in the end we have something lke this (aligned marks).
Tom - 62/100, 98/100, Aligned HSC mark (approx.) = 80
Dick - 98/100, 62/100, Aligned HSC mark = 80
Harry - 93/100, 93/100, Aligned HSC mark = 94 (as he's in the top band, he's mark would probably get bumped up just a little bit).

So there you have it - that's why ranks matter. You always gets the highest external exam mark as your internal assessment mark, and then it gets either bumped up or knocked down during the aligning process. I guess I could have just said that at the start, but heck, I love examples! LOL :D

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Looks pretty good Schoey, I think I'd agree with most of that.

One small thing - all the marks in your example should be raw marks, and where it says "Aligned HSC mark" it should read "Raw HSC mark".

The next step in the process after moderating is to align the two main raw marks (examination mark and moderated assessment mark), which will usually bump them up a bit.

Your HSC mark (whether raw or aligned) is always the average of the corresponding moderated assessment and examination marks (raw or aligned), so Harry's HSC mark would be exactly 93.

This flowchart might help.

Also remember that it gets a little more complicated when you have more than three students. :)

lou071

HSC
N/A
cuz i was reading this other topic about some guy's estimated uai. ppl were saying the ranks matter alot, so i guees my estimation from sam wasnt that accurate then T.T atm im in a school ranked 117 and those are my current ranks and marks

3u Math 20/57 (87%)
4u Math 18/22 (88%)
Physics 19/54 (61%)
Eco 12/19 (67%)

im expecting this mark to increase, cuz i did jack shit in yr 11 and the last term of 2008. my prediction of my marks are

on sam it said i get 94.7 but what do u guys think my actual uai is gona be? my rankings are byond shit! and i need to get into commerce at UNSW or Eco at SYD
'ranks are extremely impportant' told by Board of Studies officer

Schoey93

HSC
Wow. Now, not only are the Board of Studies tightarses who won't release raw marks, they're also liars - bugiardi.
:mad1:
According to lazarus's document, all your HSC (RAW) marks are obtainable from the Board of Studies, as are your moderated HSC marks (raw and moderated marks are supposedly available for internal assessment, external examination and raw hsc mark.

According to this, the only thing you can't obtain from the Board is your SCALED HSC mark. Is there any truth in all of this? If there was, wouldn't we have worked out hom marks are moderated, aligned and scaled to the point that we could predict any UAI with 0.05 ranks?

:)
Thank you for all your help. :)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Well... by 'obtainable' I meant 'obtainable if you are willing to fight for it'. :)

It was possible to obtain your raw examination marks and your initial moderated assessment marks when I wrote that document, because the Board gave them to me.

Unfortunately the Board backflipped on its position a few years ago once they realised that students could use their raw marks to calculate raw band cut-offs.

No one has fought them on the issue since. If you take the Board to a tribunal on this point, you will win. They simply cannot argue that students are not entitled to their own marks. It is a losing argument. Even if disclosure of raw marks means that it might be possible to calculate raw band cut-offs, and the Board is correct when it says disclosure of raw band cut-offs could influence the judges who determine cut-offs in future years, you cannot escape the bottom line that students are entitled to see their own marks.

Schoey - even if a student has all of their marks (raw and moderated), it's still not possible to calculate their scaled marks exactly, because the only data we have about scaled marks comes from the reports of the Technical Committee on Scaling. Those reports tabulate crude equivalences between scaled marks and aligned marks and don't refer to raw marks.

Having said that, if raw band cut-offs were released, such that the aligned marks in the scaling reports could be 'unaligned' back to their original raw marks - producing a set of equivalences between raw marks and scaled marks - I think I could reproduce the exact scaling curve for each course.

It will be a while before any of that happens though... :)

Schoey93

HSC
All righto Lazarus. Rightie-oh, sounds good. :)

I am going to have my mark rechecked after I get my HSC results, then apply for my raw marks after the results of the recheck. I will take the Board of Studies to the tribunal, and I shall win, they shall lose and I shall see my raw marks!! :)
james

random-1005

Banned
HSC

3u Math 20/57 (87%)
4u Math 18/22 (88%)
Physics 19/54 (61%)
Eco 12/19 (67%)

HAHA your expecting your mark to increase, your "predicting your marks to be better", your like one of the kids at my school, the idiot got shit marks in 3 unit maths and then his excuse was "ohh but i didnt study", then he tried to pick up 4 unit maths so he could drop another subject but they completely dropped him down to 2 unit maths

u suck shit mate, ur predicting to get better, HA, i predict your marks will get worse with your attitude. your worried about calculating your uai with predicted marks, but ur not worried about doing some work

micuzzo

HSC
Ranks matter a fair bit. This mainly because the Baord of Studies does this fhecked up thing called moderating, and this even more fhecked up thing called aligning.

For example.

Tom, Dick and Harry were the only people at Kellyville High to study Physics (just a ridiculous example, sorry if you're actually in this situation :) ).
Their internal assessment marks were:
Tom - 78/100
Dick - 96/100
Harry - 85/100.

Now as you can see, Tom did pretty damn shit.

Their EXAM marks wore:
Tom - 95/100 (Had a major cram session the night before the exam.)
Dick - 65/100 (Got pissed the day before the exam and halfway through he had to run to the toilets and puke 'cos he was hungover.)
Harry - 91/100 (Crammed with Tom.)

SO, the final MODERATED internal assessment marks would be:
Tom - 65/100
Dick - 95/100
Harry - 91/100
(In this case, Harry is lucky enough to get his own external exam mark for his assessment mark.)

And in the end we have something lke this (aligned marks).
Tom - 62/100, 98/100, Aligned HSC mark (approx.) = 80
Dick - 98/100, 62/100, Aligned HSC mark = 80
Harry - 93/100, 93/100, Aligned HSC mark = 94 (as he's in the top band, he's mark would probably get bumped up just a little bit).

So there you have it - that's why ranks matter. You always gets the highest external exam mark as your internal assessment mark, and then it gets either bumped up or knocked down during the aligning process. I guess I could have just said that at the start, but heck, I love examples! LOL :D
so then as i have once said... does this mean that the marks you get are never actually your???

shuning

HSC
HAHA your expecting your mark to increase, your "predicting your marks to be better", your like one of the kids at my school, the idiot got shit marks in 3 unit maths and then his excuse was "ohh but i didnt study", then he tried to pick up 4 unit maths so he could drop another subject but they completely dropped him down to 2 unit maths

u suck shit mate, ur predicting to get better, HA, i predict your marks will get worse with your attitude. your worried about calculating your uai with predicted marks, but ur not worried about doing some work
HEHE LOL seen this happening alot :), but i know who i am. Trust me i kiil 4unit. and unlike that kid i fkn accelerated 2unit last yr!

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
so then as i have once said... does this mean that the marks you get are never actually your???
The last time you asked was in this thread, and while the answer I gave hasn't changed, I would encourage you to ask more questions if something I said doesn't make sense. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)